New build (Nuvo 75 INT) plumbing to an older Eshopps R-200 sump.

mustangtjb

BRS Member
Hey All so I too am starting a new build which has been on hold for awhile. I’ve had the tank for just over a year now and now am approaching finally getting it wet. Like many others here I was essentially waiting for the mancave to be finished (walls, flooring, ceiling etc) and waffled back and forth as to where the tank would actually be placed and lastly was buying goodies to go in the new tank along the way.

Having been to other members homes buying frags and such I was also learning about their setups essentially equating always thinking of mine. For two reasons I decided to go the popular thru the wall to a sump road versus a sump directly under the stand. 1) being I have some space and two I’m looking to plumb another tank into the main display for grow out reasons.

My challenge (until yesterday) was that I was going to have to plumb around my oil burner making it much more complicated than I had wanted and for the first time was frankly dreading it. In short I found enough room under the stairs down into the basement which sits just to the right of the tank in the finished area. I’ll be a bit tight but I think will work nicely.

I will have to plumb the grow out tank back to the sump for the main tank but my plan for that one is soft tubing as the aforementioned sump is currently the sump for that grow out tank. My hope is to put the sump on a low stand under the stairs, then hard plumb the display tank to it and soft plumb the G/O tank to it.

So with all of this said I have a few unorthodox questions:

1). I have an old school wet dry sump (clean) which fits directly behind the DT and I was hoping to plumb both emergency drains to that as it will be a bit more cost effective and can still be kept outta sight. Has anyone ever separated the primary drain from the E drains? (I understand if the edrains are put to use that the overflow now become separated from the main sump and for all intensive purposes I lose the “overflown” water in the E sump) that aside is there anything else to take into consideration?) other Gotcha’s?
2). The present skimmer I have in the sump is on the loud side. It’s location is on the other side of the basement so the noise in the mancave it is negligible, however moving it under the stairs effectively puts it in the mancave. Are there any tips (shy of buying a new quieter one at this point) to sound deaden a skimmer?

3). Am I missing anything obvious as I go through this process?

My best attempt at pictures for reference and thank in advance for comments and your time:
1). is looking straight on and the sump would be going under the stairs to the right.
1.jpg
2). is looking over the right edge of the tank down into where the sump will be.
2.jpg
3). is the working sump space available
3.jpg
4). is looking out of the sump space on the backside of the DT wall. You’ll see the wet dry sump I’m hoping to use for the edrain. Wet dry is approx 10 + gallons on a 75G tank. I’ll likely run the soft plumbing from the GO tank back into the main sump.
4.jpg
5). is again looking out of the sump area but seeing the DT left and the space available to make the plumbing right turn to the sump.
5.jpg
6). Is the left edge of the tank looking back into the sump space.
6.jpg
7). The other side of the wall behind the DT
7.jpg
8). GO tank on the left side of the picture.
8.jpg

What skimmer are we talking about here.
one concern is co2 from the furnace

Thanks Chris (Hope all is well with you guys btw!)

Bought the skimmer second hand but it's working great on the GO tank. I believe it is an Eshopps.

As for the furnace it was replaced about 15 years ago so its reasonably new. Not to say it can't or isn't leaking co2 but currently both GO tanks seem to be growing well.

I was thinking of putting a small fan (like desktop size) and point it out of the sump area opening to ventilate the area.

Can you think of any drawbacks from the edrain into a separate sump? I couldn't think of any but

whenever you put your hands in the tank water will go down the edrain or anything else that will displace water ( float bags of coral, fish rock etc...)

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back