New build questions

mustangtjb

BRS Member
Hey All,

Looking to get some opinions on on testing kits, Nano skimmers and Thermometers. (Already upgraded my light to the AI Prime HD)

For kits my intent is to keep (try to ) both fish and coral. With that said do I need to get both a Saltwater and Reef kit ?

Nano's Are they worth it ?

Thermo's I've searched and would be willing to spend up to find a reliable one with a decent display?

What other uses are possible uses are there for the small sump chamber on my tank (Chaeto, carbon etc) Can I put chaeto in the pump chamber as additional filtration media or to grow pods ?

Lastly maybe something to guide me visa vi order of importance?

Thanks for reading and your time !

Things depend on how nano you want to go. Cpr hob refugiums are the least complicated way you could grow some chaeto. Heaters and I have had some battles so I run 2. I have a reefkeeper controller to run them. They are a good investment if you want a controller on the cheap. I would rather have an apex though.

You don’t need the test kits yet.
I’d get a refractometer first
Titanium heaters are probably the best( I run a glass one )
Definitely get a auto top off for a nano. The salinity swings are huge.
Wait a month to complete your cycle and add 1-2 fish , wait a couple weeks so your biological filter can keep up.
Do 10% water changes every week
This will give you plenty of time to ask more questions and do some more research on what you want to keep in the tank

+1 on titianium. I also like the the aqueon pro models (lifetime warranty). For a nano they run small enough, but they do not have a display. (I use the 3 dollar stick on strips). I agree with Rhino get a back up. Once you have hundreds of dollars invested in your tank it is worth the extra peace of mind.

What is the size of the tank again?

I use API salt water kit to know my cycle is done. Others switch to other more accurate test kits after that for alkalinity, calcium, magnesium, and nitrates. I stay cheap and use api still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back