New calcium reactor

cilyjr

Chris
I bought this little guy a month ago. My old PM cr422 simply wasn't big enough for my system anymore. Its the aquamaxx ctech t-3 calcium reactor. Its 2 feet tall with an 8 inch reaction chamber.

I'm having more trouble than I would have thought dialing it in (being a ca reactor vet) but after talking to some people I'm starting with a different approach.
20170818_191833.jpg

And so I have my dialing in problem figured out. With most calcium reactors the CO2 injection happens on the intake side of the plumbing. Meaning CO2 is injected and then pulled into the pump and then dispersed throughout the reactor. When this new reactor however has the CO2 injection going into the outflow from the pump. This would normally not be a problem with a regular CO2 regulator because the back pressure that is created by the pump is easily dealt with by simply adjusting the needle valve and allowing for more pressure to combat the backflow from the pump.

In my case however I'm using a carbondoser CO2 regulator and it works differently from others rather than adjusting and needle valve to apply more pressure to get a bubble the carbondoser opens and closes a small solenoid to create the bubble. Because of the back pressure calcium reactor pump the valve would open and close and I would get no bubbles until so much pressure built up in the hose that many came out all in one big burst and then nothing for a minute. I found the simplest solution which was just add a second check valve above the bubble counter which stopped the back pressure from the pump and allowed for an easier tuning of the co2.

I think this problem will probably be unique to calcium reactors that have their CO2 intake on the outflow of the pump which seem to be few. So now I'm in adjustment mode Which will take a couple of days but I'm finally finding that it will fulfill my calcium reactor needs.

I saw your post on r2r and nobody seemed to know a solution. Glad you figured it out

I am wondering how much pressure the outflow of the pump puts on the 2nd check valve?
Will that pressure preventing the check valve to open until more CO2 pressure to build up inside the bubble counter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the first time I see a calcium reactor with this kind of design, it also eliminated the benefit of the impeller chopping up CO2 bubble.

I am looking at the design of the reactor. Can you swap the inlet of CO2 with the inlet of water? Then you can use a feed pump to push water into the reactor like most of the calcium reactors do?

You know dong, I probably could do that but it doesn't seem to be putting a significant amount of pressure on the valve I think it has something to do with the mechanics of the carbondoser regulator which is different from a standard needle valve CO2 regulator. The second check valve adds just enough to allow the solenoid to function properly

They said something about the design being more apt to recycle CO2 through the system and not lose as much CO2 out into the tank

The 2nd check valve can allow the regulator bubbles correctly but it may not mean the correct amount of co2 enters the reactor.
That may just defeated the purpose of electronic regulator.

What I means is that the bubble counters is pressurized and co2 will enter the reactor unevenly.

I understand.
The check valve has a pretty low release point (I can blow through it). But it's enough to stop the back pressure.

It's been running ok for 24 hrs now. Just need to bring the ph lower...slowly!

The 2nd check valve can allow the regulator bubbles correctly but it may not mean the correct amount of co2 enters the reactor.
That may just defeated the purpose of electronic regulator.

I see your point. But what was happening before was back pressure was holding it back until there was a huge burst of co2. That's not happening now and ph in the reaction chamber is coming down. So I'd say success

But you're right Dong. I wonder why they designed it that way. Theres plenty of room to add the co2 injection point to the intake plenum.

Back