Lots of new sweet corals on Ebay!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/lovethereef/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

Auctions end tomorrow, Weds the 9th! at 9pm

s-l225.jpg

s-l225.jpg

s-l225.jpg

s-l225.jpg

s-l225.jpg

Anyone here bidding on those sexy hell fire blastos? So jealous! :)

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Hahaha yeah Yorgos did a good job hoarding some good stuff ... too bad I snuck it from under his nose and put em in the eBay section :p

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

This may sound like a dumb question but do you have a reference of some sort that explains how this process works? Is it really a bid? What are the prices listed? I never use Ebay so don't feel as though you need explain that hole thing, just a quick overview.

Jim

PS I followed your last listing but with this link I can't even see coral pictures?

Last edited:
the listings ended last night, which is why you probably can't see them. essentially, LTR put a bunch of coral on ebay so normal ebay rules apply, such as bidding and payments. i hope that helps.

This may sound like a dumb question but do you have a reference of some sort that explains how this process works? Is it really a bid? What are the prices listed? I never use Ebay so don't feel as though you need explain that hole thing, just a quick overview.

Jim

PS I followed your last listing but with this link I can't even see coral pictures?

B.rian covered the bit about the auction being over.

It's standard eBay rules which mean you enter a maximum amount you're willing to pay (i.e. $50) and eBay automatically does the rest. In short, even if you enter a maximum bid of $50, if the next highest bid is $20, your bid will only be $21. eBay automatically incrementally increases your bid up to the max ($50 in this case) as others bid, until your max bid is surpassed (in which case you'll be notified and have an option to increase it), or the auction ends and you win. It's really pretty easy and hands-off (the automatic increases mean you don't be by your computer as the clock winds down since you can't see anyone else's max bid and they can't see yours- no last second snaking). If you have a paypal account linked I think that as long as you set "local pickup," you don't have to do anything after it ends.

LTR sets a flat shipping rate across the U.S. ($45, I believe), but there's an option to pick up at the store for free. You can select that when you pay. I see you're in Falmouth, but it's worth it to make the trip up to LTR to see the store. It's really pretty nice.

B.rian covered the bit about the auction being over.

It's standard eBay rules which mean you enter a maximum amount you're willing to pay (i.e. $50) and eBay automatically does the rest. In short, even if you enter a maximum bid of $50, if the next highest bid is $20, your bid will only be $21. eBay automatically incrementally increases your bid up to the max ($50 in this case) as others bid, until your max bid is surpassed (in which case you'll be notified and have an option to increase it), or the auction ends and you win. It's really pretty easy and hands-off (the automatic increases mean you don't be by your computer as the clock winds down since you can't see anyone else's max bid and they can't see yours- no last second snaking). If you have a paypal account linked I think that as long as you set "local pickup," you don't have to do anything after it ends.

LTR sets a flat shipping rate across the U.S. ($45, I believe), but there's an option to pick up at the store for free. You can select that when you pay. I see you're in Falmouth, but it's worth it to make the trip up to LTR to see the store. It's really pretty nice.

Thanks for that reply that clears up a lot.

Jim

I tried to get in on the last auction having never used ebay myself i quickly learned the error of my ways. Trust me dont bother bidding until the last 15 seconds. Bidding ahead of time is like playing poker while your cards are face up.

Thanks for that reply that clears up a lot.

Jim

No problem!

I tried to get in on the last auction having never used ebay myself i quickly learned the error of my ways. Trust me dont bother bidding until the last 15 seconds. Bidding ahead of time is like playing poker while your cards are face up.

That's not how it usually works unless you're not bidding the right way. What probably happened is that your max bid was below a previous bidder's max bid, so when you placed yours, you were immediately outbid. Nobody else can see your max bid so it's not at all like playing poker with your cards face up.

When you bid, always bid the maximum amount you're willing to pay, don't bid just enough to top the current top bid in the auction- that's a recipe for losing. If you see that the "current bid" is $10 and you bid $11, there's a good chance you'll immediately be outbid (especially if the current leading bidder's max bid is over $10) or you'll be outbid within a short period of time. If you see that the "current bid" is $10 and you bid $50, the actual bid will only go up just enough to top the next highest "max bid." In my example there, if the current bid is $10, you bid $50, and the other bidder's max bid was $15, you'll be leading the auction with a bid of $16. If someone else comes in and submits a max bid of $20, ebay will automatically increase your bid to $21. This will continue until someone else exceeds your maximum bid of $50, or until you win. If the next highest bidder only submitted a max bid of $25, you'll win the auction with a top bid of $26 and that's all you'll have to pay. Again, nobody else can actually see that your max bid is $50, they only see the current bid amount.

The don't bid until the last few seconds strategy is pretty unnecessary for eBay because of how they structure the bidding process. Last time LTR had an auction, I set my max bids on the first day and won 3 different pieces for well under my max bids of $20 each (I won for like $8, $11, and $16). I set that bid within the first few hours of the auction and didn't touch eBay until I got the notification that I had won. Just set it and forget it.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back