New Frag Tank Build

choff

Non-member
Inspired by twenty twenty's recent sale of beautiful 6' frag tank I just ordered a 84"x21"x12" acrylic tank from Advanced Acrylics.

In my existing basement fish room I'm running 2 40b's. One I use as a FT and the other has never really found a purpose. I tried many many things with it, but nothing ever stuck. Right now I'm using it to house a blonde naso tang that I'm trying to get to eat before putting him in the DT.

I was considering just running them both as frag tanks, but then I saw the twenty twenty tank and it got me thinking. I wanted his tank, but really didn't want rimless. They are gorgeous, but not very functional for me and I'm less than gentle. I would have been doing 10 pct unintentional water changes weekly. This is also going in an unfinished basement sump room, so I need function over form. So after much discussion with John at AA, I went with 1/2" acrylic with the above dimensions, euro braced and 2 cross supports. He is doing a bean animal overflow for me and 6 cut to fit frag racks at 2" and 3.5" heights.

To light it, I have a radion and 2 Kessil 160s over the 40s now. I also just replaced 4 Kessil 360s over my DT with an ATI led hybrid power module so those are in play too. I may try to add t5s into the mix down the road. I'm a fan of t5/led combo.

For flow, I have a riptide 150 and bunch of powerheads laying around that I will utilize.

My lawnmower blends and 6 line wrasse will move from the current DT to the new one. I'm going to add a Kole tang and maybe a bristle tooth as well.

So my system will consist of my first floor 150g RSM 650 which will dump into my 80g (filled to 10.5") FT which flows I to my 100g sump before returning to the DT. 330g total water volume.

Now the hard part.... Waiting 7 weeks for delivery. :(

Here is a pic of the 40b's that this tank will replace.

Thanks for reading!

~Mike

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back