New guy here

You are welcome to visit my coral farm and I will show you everything you need to setup a successful reef tank with budget.
I also have plenty of used equipment for sale at a fraction of the cost compare to new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The return pump should be anywhere from 10x- 15x your total water volume. You want to go higher. If you have a 75 tank with a 750gallon/hour pump after the head pressure is accounted for (from the pump in the sump to the display tank) you may be down to 400 gallons per hour. I would recommend something in the 1200-1500gph range and that should give you your 10x after the 4-5 food rise to the display tank.

Definitely check out dz6t (Dong)'s set up at some point for sure! He has his entire basement plumbed up to tanks!

Got another question if i go with a 75gallon tank what size sump tank would i want i managed to bag a 20L from petco for a good price would that be fine? Also a lady i work her her friend is getting rid of a 40g tank so i could always use that as my beginner tank.

I have a 72 bow front (a curved 75). I use a 20 long for my sump. I made too many chambers but you can see what it looks like in the build forums. I showed how I built it. My recommendation would be to make a two chamber. One large enough for a sump, and one refugium/return. My return section is too low so I have to top off my evaporated water every couple of days or else the return pump throws bubbles.

The 40 breeder is a nice size tank. Many members have built a full reef tank out of that. I went with the 72 gallon because it is 4' long and gives me room to play!

I don't think a 40 would fit under most 75 stands. I could be wrong but the 20 long doesn't have much room in either side in my bow front stand

Think im just gonna go with the 40 gallon tank and do the 20L for the sump. I'll grab a 75 later down the road. 2nd hand 75g arnt that expensive. My main thing is now i have to run a line from the bathroom threw the wall above the stairs into my closet for the RO system

40 b is 36x 18
So really depends on how the stand is made I guess. Fits length but might not fit in depth. 45 gallon long will but that's not very common size

Has anyone ever used the quiet life aquarium pumps i found a 1876gph pump for $105 on amazon.

I see youre in Worcester, not too far away if you ever need any help let me know. Always willing to help out, also hav4 corals when youre ready

Hey man don't know where you reside but I just went though everything your going through know it can be over whelming. I got hooked up with a guy Rhode Island who helped me a tremendous amount. one thing I did to save money so I could buy a nice 75 over flow and all the components need to run it for a reef was build a stand. I know its not a ton of help but it was a third the cost and only about 8 hours for something not completely ugly. PM me if ya got any questions I'm no pro but a few steps ahead

ryan

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back