New Guy

tanksalot

Non-member
Hello to all, very new to saltwater tanks and just purchased a 125G tank that I am going to make a saltwater set up. I don't have any other equipment as for now except a Fluval FX5 filter. I was advised by a LPS that the FX5 was plenty for my tank but I have noticed that most people on this sight are using a sump system. Is the FX5 a pink elephant or will it work OK. If anyone has any thoughts that would be great. Also need other items such as protien skimmer, rock, light etc. Thanks.

Welcome to the BRS! If you are going to use a canister filter make sure you keep it clean they can become a nitrate factory. Check out the for sale threads there are always things that you need for sale.

is the tank reef ready? If it is I would use a sump and put a skimmer in it. If the tank is not reef ready, aka drilled, I would make it drilled. I like to keep things hidden and the sump will let you do this. I have my heater and skimmer as well as my calcium reactor dripping into my sump.

Welcome to BRS, great member community here. Probably also one of the better places to get equipment used. I have never used a canister filter, but generally people here will steer you in the direction of a skimmer, live rock etc.

Sumps certainly have benefits but require a little more planning when setting up and as always what you want to do and what you can afford don't always match up.

Welcome..............sump all the way man! U can probably use the canister and convert it into a carbon reactor.......or gfo what ever u think u need most......and skimmer is the way to go also.......

Hello to all, very new to saltwater tanks and just purchased a 125G tank that I am going to make a saltwater set up. I don't have any other equipment as for now except a Fluval FX5 filter. I was advised by a LPS that the FX5 was plenty for my tank but I have noticed that most people on this sight are using a sump system. Is the FX5 a pink elephant or will it work OK. If anyone has any thoughts that would be great. Also need other items such as protien skimmer, rock, light etc. Thanks.

Welcome ....

This is the kind of advise that makes me cringe .... but in fairness to the advice given ; u did not state fish only , fish only with live rock or a full blown reef .

Any who peruse around a bit and ask plenty of questions . Lot's of good people with great advice ...

Have fun with your new hobby .

Thanks for the feedback. My tank is not reef ready and I was thinking of using an overflow (external) with sump system as I would like to eventually have corals, live rock, etc. I am just trying to avoid purchasing items that I will later need or want to upgrade. I will keep my eyes open for deals on here and keep reading through post for advice. Thanks again.

I started with a standard 125 and fater a year changed to a reef ready one. I had an over flow box on the 125. I would drill the tank you have. There are companies that sell over flow boxes that you can install your self. It is not hard and will give you great piece of mind as you will constantly wonder with an overflow box if it lost syphon. If you plan on going into corals and such my biggest piece of advice it to buy the best products you can so you don't have to replace it 3 months down the road.

The tank will mostlikely be one of the least expensive things you get. Lights, skimmer, and power heads can be expensive so try to buy once. I have replaces, lights, skimmer, powerheads on my tank since I started and the tank for the matter so I ended up paying twice for everything. I purchases my original stuff from a local store that took advantage of me as a newbie as well so I payed double what it should be in the first place.

You can look on the fs board and you will see a lot of things for sale just make sure they are what you need and are good quality.

Good luck and ask lots of questions and as a side note if you become a paid member you receive a discount at a lot of local stores as well as some of the online sponsors which will save you more then the cost of the membership.

Thanks again and I am on board with your thinking of only buying once. I do see a lot for sale just not sure what I am looking at so I have to research items. I am reading up on sumps and will look into finding a place to drill the tank. Is that something they make house calls for or would I have to bring the tank to them?.

BTW I did become a paid member, I figure with all the Sh@t I have to buy Ill make that twenty bucks back and then some.

You can get an overflow and the hole saw from glass holes. It is not hard to do. They even have a video on how to do it. Just go slow.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back