New reef tank water question

Edin508

Non-member
Still waiting for my RO/DI unit to show up, as well as power supply for my lights. But I would like to know if it would be foolish to use tap water to mix some salt in and get the tank cycling. Nothing in the tank now, but I do have a bag of “live sand” to add into the tank when I get some water moving.

So many factors here. Like where you live and the quality of your towns tap water.
Easy answer is wait.
But doesn’t mean tap water is terrible. I used tap water for a year and no major issues. Rodi is much better. I’d wait and do the right thing first time around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My thoughts are to get some water moving and possibly grab some rock at the auction this weekend. But the filter isn’t due in until Thursday.

There are a couple units in the auction Sunday too. Typically things equipment is half the going rate on used equipment on the forums and less than a quarter of the price of new.

I personally would only use rodi or ro water. To start the cycle depending on the size of the tank it is something like 11 or 17 cents a gallon at Walmart or hannafords.

Oh sorry. Misread the post on the waiting for the unit. So yeah I would go with Walmart for now or wait for the cycle until next week.

U can get distilled water at Walmart 88ccnts a gallon

That’s if you buy the gallons individually. If you have a 5gallon container (12 bucks first purchase) it is much cheaper I thought

Lol, that is a lot of water to transport. It’s only a 32 gal tank, but that is still a lot.

I Norton MA, my tap water is in the 200 range for TDS (total dissolved solids) and my RO water runs right at 0 on my TDS meter. My understanding is that the solids that make up the TDS do not really degrade or go anywhere, rather they are concentrated and build up via evaporation and water replacement.

In your case subsequent water changes with RODI water should dilute the TDS underlying your saltwater, but it is a slow process. If you start with 200 TDS, a 20 % water change would take you to 160, a 20% water change then takes you to 128, a 20% water change then takes you to 102 and so on...

Bottom line is wait.

If you are local would be happy to give you 10 or 20 gallons of RODI, but the problem is transporting it.

I am in Walpole, and it seems like the smart thing to do is wait right now. Now, if I fill the tank on Thursday and grab some live rock at the auction this weekend should I be ok? It should help cycle the tank, no?

4a2cf938fa87f4a0a17f7f6f3f7ca2f9.jpg

I’ll give some of that a try, can’t hurt.
I have 40 or so gallons of mixed instant ocean right now in my ro station if you wanted to cover the cost of salt/water You can swing by and take what you need. I also like dr. Tims for a speed cycle product

Thank you so much pugs, but 2 things, I don’t have anything to transport that much water in and my arm is in a sling.

No problem, like others have said definitely wait for an rodi. Even if you use a de- chlorinator the phosphates will cause all sorts of algae problems. I probably have 40-50 lbs of recently dry rock for 1$/lb as well FYI

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back