New Reefer!!! New Build !!!! 75 gallon

dannyo2008

Non-member
Hello everybody I'm new to the hobby and started a new tank 75 gallon. I've had water in the tank for a little over two months . I would appreciate any recommendations and feed back. Also wondering how long to wait to put coral in the tank and what type of coral to start with . I do a 10% water change every 2 to 3 weeks . I currently have 6 fish and thinking of adding 1 or 2 more fish . I Also test water for Nitrate ,Nitrite , Ammonia , and ph and all my levels been excellent (knock on wood).
Fish:
Clown Pair ( ralph and rosie)
Lawnmower blenny ( Gandalf)
Scooter Blenny (Scoot)
Angel (My boy blue)
Bangaii Cardinal (spike)
Equipment:
75 gallon tank (not reef ready tank)
Trigger systems Ruby Sump 30
Marco Rocks Dry Rock
Return pump Sicce Syncra silent 2.0 (568 GPH)
CS90 Deluxe Overflow
Red Sea RSK 300 Skimmer
Hydor Koralia powerhead ( 2450 gph)
Hydor Koralia Evo Powerhead (1500 gph)
LIGHT (NOT SETUP YET)
Aquatic Life 36 inch Hybrid T5 fixture with 4 lamps, ATI Actinic ,ATI Coral plus, 2 ATI Blue Plus
2 Aqua Illuination Prime 16 Leds

Attachments

• IMG_2851.JPG
    IMG_2851.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 352
  • IMG_2838.JPG
    IMG_2838.JPG
    201 KB · Views: 352
  • IMG_2840.JPG
    IMG_2840.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 350
  • IMG_2845.JPG
    IMG_2845.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 343
  • IMG_2847.JPG
    IMG_2847.JPG
    131.5 KB · Views: 347
  • IMG_2848.JPG
    IMG_2848.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 344
  • IMG_2846.JPG
    IMG_2846.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 348
Welcome. Looks like you have some great gear and pretty setup. Easy softie corals are usually the best place to start. My first were green star polyps and a few Ricordia mushrooms. Cheers!

The tank is looking good. 75g is a really nice size to give you lots of options. Research what type of corals you will enjoy, and go from there.

Welcome!!!
Your set up looks great! Love your aquascape!

+1 on badbabyfry
Get your lights set on a schedule, let the tank mature through algae blooms.. the uglies.
Soft corals are a good start. Research everything.

Hey fellow reefer,

Welcome to the club, don't know where I would be in this hobby without this forum. Wealth of information and great people here.

Tank looks great I ran a 75 for a while at one point. (If you have the option to drill do it now) tho good choice with that over flow using the aqualifter pump (exactly what I used and never had a problem)

Have you simulated a power outage to determine if the sump can handle the water and also if the overflow maintains syphon?
That was always my biggest fear...

Get yourself a reef test kit (alk, mg, calcium)
I personally use hanna checkers for ease of use (if its easier for me to do I will do it more oftern) don't really need to test for ammonia and nitrite after tank cycle these should never be present in your reef and if they are you will prob know without a test kit) nitrates important though.

Happy reefing I have some beginners corals for sale if intersted for cheap money.

Welcome! two pieces of advice

1. There will be good days and bad days. Dont become complacent when the going is good and dont get disheartened when it gets tough.
2. Patience is the key. Nothing good happens overnight in this hobby. Small regular actions (like maintenance, water changes/testing etc.) add up to a gorgeous reef.

As far as corals go - softies, zoas, leathers are good corals to start. Checkout marketplace threads and BRS sponsor threads. If you happen to come over towards concord/acton area I can give you a small toadstool frag for free.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back