New Refugium

IffersTankSlave

C'mon SPRING!!
OK...next step...the refugium! (Thanks Marvin!) The physical set-up is all set. Now, opinions on the contents of said fuge! What is the best way to stock this? Pro's/con's..experiences? Let us know! :D

Congrats! The life forms that will eventually grow is really fascinating. In mine I have 3-4" of sand (w/1 cup of live sand from the tank), about 1" miracle mud, mix of algae. I have caulerpa in there so need to keep the light on 24/7. I had a bad experience with it last year and left the light out for a couple of days and it went asexual, my whole tank turned soupy green within a matter of minutes of turning the light back on.

I'm sure other people have there's setup a little different, I"m also anxious to read other comments.....

what size did you get?
Also is that the deal with the macro going sexual? Light related?

If you don't want the macro algea to go sexual use Chaeto. It looks like a green brillo pad.

a lot of people have to give some away for free because it grows so fast. i'm sure someone will post here soon saying that they have some extra they could give to you for free.

Mine actually stopped growing after a while. It used to grow like mad, but I think it used up some nutrient, and now, it barely grows at all! Still, of all the macro algae, I highly recommend it for a refugium,

Matt:cool:

i can bring a bag of chaeto to the next meeting for you or you could come pick it up.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back