New tank

Jack the noob

Non-member
Hey guys I am totally new to the saltwater world. I have been in the freshwater world and wanted to try my luck with a reef tank. I have been doing months of research but I am still worried. I bought a 60gal tank with a 150gal canister filter a uv sterilizer and a proten skimmer. I have dry sand water and 2 days ago I added salt directly to the tank (protein skimmer and uv sterilizer were turned off) the salinity is were it is supposed be and I think I am ready to add the bio start up but I am not sure. If you guys can tell me anything I should know that would be awesome

Welcome. BRS has a very good video series on starting a new aquarium -

Total 52 videos with each one with a specific topic. I think videos 12 and 13 have information about cycling.. Check out the topics based on your current needs first but watch others as well... tons of super useful information.

salinity should be 1.026
get a api test kit
drop a fresh shrimp in the tank for a few days to rot
test for ammonia if around 3ppm add dr tim’s one and only.
test ammonia, nitrite and nitrate weekly
when ammonia and nitrite are 0 you should have nitrates.
at this point you can add a few snails and hermit crabs and let the good bacteria grow. that’s the beginning in the nutshell feel free to ask questions we have some great people here. what part of MA you from I am on the north shore

you can add live rock right away as this will help with your cycle.

all of these are important suggestions, I would add:
1) I really like cycling with the Dr. Tim's Ammonia as you know what is going into the tank and can watch it be consumed by testing
2) I have had very good luck with BioSpira as a start-up dose

I did every thing including live rock and it's been 4 days I thought I would wait till the end of the week to get my first fish thanks again

I did every thing including live rock and it's been 4 days I thought I would wait till the end of the week to get my first fish thanks again

You need to wait atleast 3 weeks not 4-7 days. You will shock your tank and your live stock will die. Saltwater is nothing like freshwater and need a ton of patience. If you move to fast you will end up spending more money than needed and you will end up quitting the hobby. Please listen to everything everyone is telling you here and let your tank cycle for atleast 3 weeks or more

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back