new to saltwater

grave123

Non-member
Hello I'm new to this website I have a 55 gallon fish tank that I'm going to try saltwater it's my first time trying saltwater fish tank. I have an ehemi Pro 4 + 600 canister filter also I have a digital aquatop digital aquarium heater 200w with a hydro wave pump. My tank is 48 long 12 1/2 wide by 20in deep. I have no Rock no sand no light is there any other piece that I should buy for an saltwater aquarium. Also what is a good recommendation for a light. I'm also on low-income budget so everything will take me couple of months to get. Thank you for your time and have a nice day.

Definitely scour the marketplace here for a light and skimmer. People are constantly breaking tanks down and upgrading. And it'll be said 100 times just like in every other "new to salt" thread, but take your time, read a lot, and don't buy anything on a whim. There are 1000's of ways to run a successful tank, whether fish only or a reef, and exponentially more opinions on how to do it! Take notes, make a plan, and always be ready to change it!

Welcome yo the site
Rock and sand will need to be your first purchase. That’s your primary filter. You can keep the canister filter to run carbon and/or gfo but not as a primary filter. Look at the market place for deals on rock and equipment

Welcome to the forums! If you use the canister for a primary filtration device you will need to change and rinse the media often and run carbon in it to help keep nitrates from going out of control. Algae eats nitrates so it is best to keep them down.

Are you planning on coral? If so easy to keep only? That will help you figure out what light you want/need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes i want to do coral and fish

Great! Do some research in the types of corals you want, and then look for a light from there. Many people like the metal halides, others like leds. So far my favorite light for growing is t5’s (but that is because I got cheap used led lights that are past their prime so they aren’t putting out the par I need).

I would suggest visiting one of our sponsors to see the corals in person and get some advice from them. Otherwise I hope to see you at some meetings soon! Our next one is in Leominster Sunday 4/29!

Dont know where this post should go but. i have started a salt water tank April 8 i have something light brown stuff on my rock and sand. Could someone help me out an tell me what this is and what i should do about it. thank you for ur time. also i got 2 little fish in the tank an there doing fine.

Attachments

• 20180430_091058 (1).jpg
    20180430_091058 (1).jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 565
  • 20180430_091151 (1).jpg
    20180430_091151 (1).jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 575
  • 20180430_091208 (1).jpg
    20180430_091208 (1).jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 603
  • 20180430_091234 (1).jpg
    20180430_091234 (1).jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 581
Looks like diatoms, normal for an early cycle in a brand new tank. Be careful with fish in there as your levels aren't stable yet.

Those diatom will go away after the tank is matured. It will come and go when the tank is undergo changes as well. Basically it is harmless.

Hey Grave,

New (to salt) as well (as of this past December).

TONS of great info on here along with even more great knowledge. I can't speak for everybody but everything I've been told (esp the go slow approach) on this forum has spot on worked. It's super tempting to want to jump right in, but resist. I found it easy to get overwhelmed but if you do just ask. Lots of gals and guy with great insight and advice.

Welcome and good luck.

Hey Grave,

New (to salt) as well (as of this past December).

TONS of great info on here along with even more great knowledge. I can't speak for everybody but everything I've been told (esp the go slow approach) on this forum has spot on worked. It's super tempting to want to jump right in, but resist. I found it easy to get overwhelmed but if you do just ask. Lots of gals and guy with great insight and advice.

Welcome and good luck.

This is all absolutely true. And if you're jonesing to see in home saltwater tanks up close, many members here will welcome you to come by and take a look and pick their brains so you can get your fill!

Thank you for all the reply. wish i could go faster but i am still learning alot of stuff about salt water. i was hoping to get some coral in my tank soon but i will take my time

I’m a noob to coral and this site. 4 months I believe. Lot of good, knowledgeable people who are eager to share it. I’m on the lower budget end of the hobby too. Lots of good deals... still have to be careful.

Best advice I can give is to do it right the first time, don't try to cut corners. I started out in this hobby many years ago and made many mistakes. I've learned a lot during that time which I was able to apply when I rejoined the community. A lot of good knowledgeable people in here

So my calcium is 16 drops and my KH is 13 drops are these two high and should i do a 50% water change to see if it comes down ? also should i put a bottle of bio spira in with the new water. At this point in time i use tapwater. any help would br nice to have.

What test kit?
If it’s api I think you want somewhere between 8-10 for kh and 20-23 for calcium

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back