new to saltwater

Best advice I can give is to do it right the first time, don't try to cut corners. I started out in this hobby many years ago and made many mistakes. I've learned a lot during that time which I was able to apply when I rejoined the community. A lot of good knowledgeable people in here

how one supposed to know do it right the first time? Do you?
Our interests in the hobby change over time and you cant predict what is coming until after you have spent more than as buying for a new car.

Our interests in the hobby change over time and you cant predict what is coming until after you have spent more than as buying for a new car.
And in the end (someday) soon or later you are going to sell everything or give away everything so you can walk away from the hobby
Don't cheap out on equipment is what I meant.
well no that's what being a noob is about and the purpose of these forums to ask questions and such. Basically what I meant was not to cheap out on equipment, especially lighting and skimmer if you plan on keeping a reef. A sump is not required but will help keep your tank stable with added water volume(also a good place to hide all your equipment/add a refugium). Lighting these days is definitely more cheaper then it was when I first started to keep a saltwater tank, those Chinese black boxes you see on amazon and eBay are more then capable for growing coral. If you go with a hob skimmer I recommend the aquamaxx. A bit pricey but their proven. As stated in another post, rock and sand should be your first purchase.

As for the canister filter, it can be used but good husbandry should be used to keep the detritus to a minimum which will help keep the nitrates down. For example I use a filter sock which I change every 2 days.

Also take it slow, nothing good happens in this hobby to those who rush(ask me how I know)

So I use the API Marine Reef Master Test Kit my calcium 18 drops that equals 360. My KH 11 drops equals 196.9. I would like to know how I can raise my calcium levels to 420

It is better to use Salifert test kits for calcium and alk, API is very poor in accuracy in this regard.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back