New to saltwater

Pflanman

BRS Member
Hi All,
I am new to this site and I have been thinking recently of getting into reef tanks. I have had freshwater tanks and currently have a 65g planted angelfish tank. I would like to get some advice on what equipment is best and what has been working for everyone. I have an empty 36g bowfront, although I have read that shorter tanks are better. Would this work if I could build the rocks up so they are closer to the light? Should I look into getting a new tank? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If anyone has some equipment they are selling or just want to get rid of that would be awesome.

Equipment:
Protein skimmer
lighting
filter
circulation pump

Welcome Pflanman. I’m new to reef as well. Always had a saltwater, just never coral. Starting to play with coral and a reef ready tank. Tons of good people with great advice on here. Still have to look out for the few scammers though, Like anywhere I guess. Always good deals on here as far as equipment and livestock goes. Like everything in this hobby it’s about patience.
I didn’t want to start with a huge tank. When I was starting and inquiring about tanks the one that got the most votes was a 40b. Small footprint, wide and shallow. Your 36 will work though also, like you stated it’s about rock and coral placement depending on your light.

Welcome to the world of salt! The 36 gallon will do! You will need a hang over the back overflow to plumb to a sump if you decide to go that way. It is the easiest way to hide equipment and increase water volume/stability.

Your light will determine what types of corals you can keep. T5 is more tried and true, leds are great if you get the right ones, metal halides are the classic and good for deeper tanks. All have advantages and disadvantages. Depending on what you want to keep will help you decide on the light.

You should make your way to the auction on the 24th in Framingham. We have a lot of equipment donations (both a metal halide and t5 set up that would for your tank), as well as many other pieces of equipment that you can snag for cheap money!

It will also be a great way of meeting people face to face and asking questions to members and other Reefers.

I am sure I missed some of your questions as on Tapatalk it doesn’t let me see the posts while I write! But always feel free to ask questions in reef talk or peruse the marketplace for equipment and livestock!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the world of salt! The 36 gallon will do! You will need a hang over the back overflow to plumb to a sump if you decide to go that way. It is the easiest way to hide equipment and increase water volume/stability.

Your light will determine what types of corals you can keep. T5 is more tried and true, leds are great if you get the right ones, metal halides are the classic and good for deeper tanks. All have advantages and disadvantages. Depending on what you want to keep will help you decide on the light.

You should make your way to the auction on the 24th in Framingham. We have a lot of equipment donations (both a metal halide and t5 set up that would for your tank), as well as many other pieces of equipment that you can snag for cheap money!

It will also be a great way of meeting people face to face and asking questions to members and other Reefers.

I am sure I missed some of your questions as on Tapatalk it doesn’t let me see the posts while I write! But always feel free to ask questions in reef talk or peruse the marketplace for equipment and livestock!

Thank you! So helpful. Where is this auction? I dont plan on setting up the tank till the fall when I have more room. I just want to do my due diligence and map out everything I want. I know research is important for freshwater so I assume its 10x more important for salt.

There is a post in reef talk in the pinned posts section. I just updated with some of the equipment supplies.

The auction is June 24th 12-5 at the Framingham VFW.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back