Newbie Classes?

JayM

Is the algae gone yet?
BRS Member
While I was campaigning for the VP of PR position in 2009, one of the things I suggested doing was having newbie classes, run in different places, to get to meet and get to know some of our newer members. Since I am also involved in new account approvals, the number of new members signing up for the club is simply amazing....and I'm very happy to see 'new blood' along with members who've been around since the beginning.

In terms of the newbie classes, we could discuss reef basics, plumbing, chemistry, skimming, lighting, and newer members could ask questions in a smaller group, and in a group where you can ask any question you want.

I've had the green light from the rest of the BoD to start this up. My original thought was a meet and greet, a quick Q&A, and maybe even a {very short} presentation, depending on the topic. I would plan for a weekend meeting. Please let me know your thoughts.....if there's enough interest, I'll post a poll for location. Be warned, out of sheer laziness, I lean towards a 'west of Boston' location. ;)

Sounds like a great idea.
Here are a few possible topics
1. Reef Pests
2. How to QT and Acclimate fish and coral
3. Reef Chemistry

Okay, I am in. Do we need a place? Laptop, projector? I may be able to get a room at the local library. Let me know.

You guys should setup up a camera and record, then post them up on the site, so as new people come and check it out they can watch the videos and get up to speed. I've watched videos of Eric Borneman's lectures, and if it wasn't for someone taping and posting it I wouldn't have been able to see it or learn the things I learned.

I'm in also... I'm with Jay and leaning towards a 'west of Boston' location... Maybe I can learn why I can only grow Acans and not Zoos.

Great idea, I would def. like to see more about plumbing. One of the main reasons I keep small tanks is because I'm lost about how all that junk connects and fits under large aquariums..I'm the type of person that has to see it drawn out and in person rather than reading a description. Unfortunately I'm south of Boston :( ...maybe we could compromise and keep it near Boston? ;)

I'm loving it. I would pay nominal fee to attend. That would help defray the cost of the place we have it and feed the instructors.

Just a compiled list of topics:

Tanks-Manufactures, materials, types, covers/hoods, size does matter, DIY
Water-RODI, salts
Substraits-types, pros/cons
Heating
Quarentine tanks-what is needed
Acclamation-Fish, corals
Rock-live vs dead, seeding
FOWLR
Mixed Reef
Reef
Corals-SPS, Zoos, Acans
Plumbing
Skimmers
Lighting-T5, MH, Retro fit kits, DIY
Refugium
Support-Stands, Built in
Sumps-
Multi Level Systems-Tank on 1st floor, and sump in basement
Electrical- Needs
Illness-reef pest, ick
Kalk/Calcium
Wave machines
Light Cycles
Tank/Reef Chemistry-
Average Operationg Cost
Feeding/Diets-Fish, corals, inverts
Tank care-how often
Purchasing New vs Used Equipment

And the list goes on.

Last time I went to a seminar we took a tour of Sea World. I know that is purshing it and asking alot.

Hey, you have to have a sense of humor.

Last edited:
im deff intrested in this as well.

would love to learn more about the specifics of lighting/requirements, dosing, and general husbandry.

I'm loving it. I would pay nominal fee to attend. That would help defray the cost of the place we have it and feed the instructors.

Just a compiled list of topics:

Tanks-Manufactures, materials, types, covers/hoods, size does matter, DIY
Water-RODI, salts
Substraits-types, pros/cons
Heating
Quarentine tanks-what is needed
Acclamation-Fish, corals
Rock-live vs dead, seeding
FOWLR
Mixed Reef
Reef
Corals-SPS, Zoos, Acans
Plumbing
Skimmers
Lighting-T5, MH, Retro fit kits, DIY
Refugium
Support-Stands, Built in
Sumps-
Multi Level Systems-Tank on 1st floor, and sump in basement
Electrical- Needs
Illness-reef pest, ick
Kalk/Calcium
Wave machines
Light Cycles
Tank/Reef Chemistry-
Average Operationg Cost
Feeding/Diets-Fish, corals, inverts
Tank care-how often
Purchasing New vs Used Equipment

And the list goes on.

Last time I went to a seminar we took a tour of Sea World. I know that is purshing it and asking alot.

Hey, you have to have a sense of humor.

ya think? :p

:: HOLY SMOKES!!!! ::

i'm down to teach newbie's if u need some help....i know so many people are getting into it more often now so why not pass on the good knowledge..

Back