Newbie trying to get into saltwater

eaxxx

Non-member
Intro post to help get my feet wet. :D

I'm currently a freshwater intermediate fishkeeper and have done well with a variety of fish/inverts in different setups.

The new frontier: trying to set up a new nano saltwater tank. I am cycling a 20G Tall using live sand and starter bacteria mix. I have purchased a powerhead and will set up a HOB refugium using an Fluval 50.

Final stocking? 2 clowns max, maybe an anemone. No corals.

Always appreciate feedback and advice from more experienced members!

Live in Boston. I get most of my advice and help from a very helpful Petco staff person.

Are you going to have some live rock? Either starting with live or from "dead" rock, it'll eventually be your main filtration method.

Two clowns in a 20g is a good place to start. They're pretty forgiving and good personalities.

Are you going to have some live rock? Either starting with live or from "dead" rock, it'll eventually be your main filtration method.

Two clowns in a 20g is a good place to start. They're pretty forgiving and good personalities.

Sorry, I forgot to include that. Yes, I am looking to put in a piece of live rock, especially in case to have the anemone anchor to it.

Technically you could have a fish only system without live rock, but Capslock is right, it's much better to have live rock.

You mentioned that you're already cycling the tank and you're planning to put in a piece of live rock. Unless you are planning to get a cycled piece of rock from a local pet shop or hobbyist or use artificial rock, you should have your rock in during cycling. Otherwise the dieoff when you put it in your tank can cause an ammonia spike.

Also if you are interested in corals but are afraid of them dying, I could give you some xenia for free. They are practically unkillable.

Technically you could have a fish only system without live rock, but Capslock is right, it's much better to have live rock.

You mentioned that you're already cycling the tank and you're planning to put in a piece of live rock. Unless you are planning to get a cycled piece of rock from a local pet shop or hobbyist or use artificial rock, you should have your rock in during cycling. Otherwise the dieoff when you put it in your tank can cause an ammonia spike.

Also if you are interested in corals but are afraid of them dying, I could give you some xenia for free. They are practically unkillable.

I was planning on buying live rock from Tropical Isle.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back