Nick's 345G Build

Lol. I’m not sure. I haven’t had any problem with the gigantea and fish. Any fish. I have to do a video at feeding time. The fish weave around the gigantea tentacles to catch food. I was quite amazed. I think a healthy fish with all their sensories should be able to maneuver around it without getting eating. Its a great death trap to weed out any weak fish in the tank. :D

While emptying the skimmer yesterday, I decided to put on the cover and removed the fans since it has been cold and didn’t want the heaters to kick in.
temp went up immediately lol.
E75A2A65-9101-4A34-9B7E-FD7B35FD9558.jpeg

33DE4EB3-A0FA-40B3-A98B-9C48A04CD2D4.jpg

How frequently do you do a "fish count" with all those critters and all their activity?

Crap, I think I’ve been running my tank too hot.

I don’t think it’s too hot. But maybe can tighten up the swing. seems like your heater don’t kick on until 77 and don’t turn off until 78. I use the smallest hysteresis allowed without getting an oscillation between the heaters and the fan.
I really don’t think all this matters anyways. As long as your tank health looks good, some temp swing is fine.

I don’t think it’s too hot. But maybe can tighten up the swing. seems like your heater don’t kick on until 77 and don’t turn off until 78. I use the smallest hysteresis allowed without getting an oscillation between the heaters and the fan.
I really don’t think all this matters anyways. As long as your tank health looks good, some temp swing is fine.
I’ve been using a window fan 24/7 to deal with low ph issues so the temp in the house varies depending on the temp outside. I’ve since run an outside line for my skimmer. Doesn’t do as well a job as the fan but I now I can have a party in the house without crashing the tank lol

Since the starting of the tank, I haven’t the need to worry about PH. We’ll see what the winter brings but it’s not like we open our windows in the summer.

44CBE73C-856A-4E6C-80F9-9EA12E742F0D.png

I don't ever use filters. I cringe when I see photos posted that say "Taken with Orange filter). WTF? I understand the blue is hard to deal with but how am I supposed to see through the orange filter? Pictures taken with filters often look fake. I also don't take pictures under halloween lighting.
If I use my dslr, I just shoot in RAW file and edit the white balance to what I think my eyes see. Recently, I've been lazy and just use my iPhone(I think it's an Xs). It's close enough after you go to the picture and edit the warmth. I especially like to do videos with the iPhone rather than the DSLR. It's easier to upload onto Youtube for quickies. If I want to do something serious, I would use the dslr but it requires some work afterward to post. 4K videos editing sucks balls.

Last edited:
Tried some close up with my iPhone yesterday. I was quite surprised at these. I started doing photography in 2002 with a Nikon D70s. These iPhone pics are so easy to take and post. I think the 20yr old camera with the proper lens can still outshine these but it requires a lot of attention.
The limiting factor in the phone camera is the lens. The tiny sensor has came a long way and it's good enough for a lot of applications but the lens is a limitation of physical space of a phone.
0B0C926C-00E6-4264-9274-AFA3170471A0.jpeg
15103603-D441-494A-ADE3-BF1B82E661A3.jpeg
9158025B-7A6C-492C-84D4-A56AD9FE5AD8.jpeg
7FC47D2C-42D4-461B-92AB-ADAD5CC393C8.jpeg
4B451C5E-AE92-4ADC-A514-546F2EAA0B56.jpeg
ECC38821-ABAB-4E60-B99E-AF0A4862FE88.jpeg
CC57951E-3520-4943-8FED-52F3A4C15037.jpeg
B407B814-AAF5-473E-A374-450D5F3D61C5.jpeg
38593B06-CF04-4710-A51E-C460D4350A84.jpeg

I am using a D7000 and adjusting wb in lightroom. i guess i just have to do a better job!

Those are great iphone pics.. is that in tank? i have not had good results yet with that, the new ios seems worse then previous for over correcting.

I think I'm just more accustomed to photo taken due to it being my other hobby but I haven't noticed the difference in taken pictures with different iOS.
The corals are in the tank. The phone is with me in my hand. Shooting through 3/4" glass. The key is to keep the phone/lens perpendicular to the glass to avoid distortions. Your eyes can correct most of the distortions but the lens cannot.

Always enjoy your photography but damn are those some impressive phone pics!!! Crazy how far phone cameras have come along.

Presentation is key.
All of us including the best photographers take bad pictures. I've taken plenty of bad pictures. I just don't post them up. Just post up all your good ones then everyone will think you're a god.

I haven't noticed the difference in taken pictures with different iOS.
lens cannot.

It was taking a sequence of photos with each shot. I found if I moved off of the "key photo" I was able to get away from a corrected exposure that was applied to the first photo. At least, I assume that was what was happening.

I just figured out how to get it to start doing that again this morning with IOS 14. I will give it another shot with the IP.

Thanks

Presentation is key.
All of us including the best photographers take bad pictures. I've taken plenty of bad pictures. I just don't post them up. Just post up all your good ones then everyone will think you're a god.
I watched a thing by a professional photographer a number of years ago and this was one of his suggestions for improving the quality of your photos!

Learning how to cull the herd is one of the most important step in anything.
I wish they would do that with captive bred clownfish. :D

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back