Nick's Miracle Build

Did you drill a 20L for the fuge and just run the full size 20L for it? I’m thinking of doing the same thing. Bare bottom it looks like?

My fuge(which is off line at the moment) is a 20L drilled up to the black plastic trim. I'm done with sand in the fuge. It's too much of a pain for the little benefit of the amount of sand a 20L can provide. In order for the sand to be any benefit, it has to be 6" or more in the fuge. With a drilled 20L, that leaves little room for macro algae.
I took the fuge out of the system to clean in late fall. Haven't got a chance to put it back.

Angels don't eat SPS. They nip on the polys but they don't bite and chew on the flesh or the skeleton. Yes, this might slow down the growth of the coral but a healthy sps colony can cope with the nipping by not extending the polyps during the day when the fish are active. Normal polyp extension will happen during the night to feed. You have a better chance at losing SPS due to them growing into each other or shading each other than angels' nipping. They will, however, demolish your fleshy LPS like a kid at the candy store.
I have been told no angels, buy I love sps and angelfish. New tank plan

My fuge(which is off line at the moment) is a 20L drilled up to the black plastic trim. I'm done with sand in the fuge. It's too much of a pain for the little benefit of the amount of sand a 20L can provide. In order for the sand to be any benefit, it has to be 6" or more in the fuge. With a drilled 20L, that leaves little room for macro algae.
I took the fuge out of the system to clean in late fall. Haven't got a chance to put it back.

Thank you!

As of today.
-3 Redsea Regal Angelfish
-2 Interrupta Angelfish
-2 Onyx Clownfish
-5 Yellow Tangs
-1 Redsea Sailfin Tang
-1 Whitetail Bristletooth Tang
-1 Powder Blue Tang
-1 Powder Brown Tang
-1 Purple Tang
-1 Magnificent Foxface
-1 Bipartitus Leopard Wrasse
-5 Blue/Green Chromis
-4 Blue Reef Chromis
-8 Lyrestail Anthias(2 males and 6 females with eggs)
-1 Royal Gramma
-1 Sunburst Anthias

I love all the fish equally. For example, the regal angelfish are very very nice so isn't the Interrupta. The Powder Brown colorful contrast is stunning but the Powder blue is also stunning. The 5 yellow tangs add a lot of life and color to the tank. The anthias and chromis are what make a reef tank looks like a natural reef. Leopard wrasse has its own personally. etc. etc. etc.

Super late to this thread.. but been catching up - that's the nicest sailfin tang I've seen.. The colors are awesome. Definitely going to look into getting a Red sea sailfin now!

Super late to this thread.. but been catching up - that's the nicest sailfin tang I've seen.. The colors are awesome. Definitely going to look into getting a Red sea sailfin now!

Jardini Sailfins/Red Sea are nice. However, keep in mind that they can grow very large and very quick.

Pictured in the middle is when I got it in March 17. It's merely 2" in size from Live Aquaria.
original.jpg

This is today. I'd say it's at least 7". It's not just the length, it's the overall size.
original.jpg

I'm going to update in pieces since there's a lot and take a lot of time.
First off are the fish.

This Emperor is growing very nicely and quickly. Follow by the sailfin, it's probably the fastest growing fish in the tank.
original.jpg

Jardini Sailfins/Red Sea are nice. However, keep in mind that they can grow very large and very quick.

Pictured in the middle is when I got it in March 17. It's merely 2" in size from Live Aquaria.
original.jpg

This is today. I'd say it's at least 7". It's not just the length, it's the overall size.
original.jpg

Ah I didn’t realize the Desjardinis have that much yellow as juvi’s. Regardless it’s still beautiful! And amazing tank as well of course!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Powder Brown. I think I like it more than the Powder Blue even the blue has always been my sought after fish. Not acquiring it but to keep one alive.

original.jpg

Ah I didn’t realize the Desjardinis have that much yellow as juvi’s. Regardless it’s still beautiful! And amazing tank as well of course!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't mistake it for the Indo variant Velifer Sailfin. They look similar as Juvie, but the Velifer is not as contrasty as the Desjardin.
To me, the Desjardin looks better as it gets older. The Velifer looks more dull as it gets older.

One of the most underrated fish I think.

Magnificent Foxface. Great grazer and very beautiful color fish. Mine doesn't grow as much giving that it's a rabbit fish.
original.jpg

One of my 3 Regal Angelfish.
Undoubtedly one of the best looking fish. I traded being able to keep LPS for this.
original.jpg

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back