Nick's Miracle Build

:p:p:p
original.jpg

Probably not the best colors reef in the world but I'll take my angels over the super duper colors
original.jpg

Tank looks amazing man! Colors are great too, I’m sure corals would pop more under LEDs.
What camera do you use by the way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tank looks amazing man! Colors are great too, I’m sure corals would pop more under LEDs.
What camera do you use by the way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Photography is my other stupid money pit hobby. I'm currently using a D850 for the majority of my shoot and D500 for birding.

Wow....very, very impressive. So much more "curated" than my system. Mine looks like all hell's broken loose. Every coral for itself! Of course now that things have grown to the water surface you'll need to start breaking it all back.

Hey Nick, I've been meaning to ask if you had any issues with the top water skim being pushed and kept at the far end of the peninsula creating a film on the water surface? I figure its a matter of dialing in and figuring out the flow so it pushes the water surface back towards the over flow to be skimmed.

I have a Red Sea 650 peninsula with a couple of Tunzes 6105s on anti-sync mode. Adding a pump to the end of the peninsula isn't a choice in my books, so I was wondering how do you have your pumps set.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Not sure which Tim you're referring to...
Flow in a peninsula is tricky. Especially one(tank) that is not wide enough. A narrow peninsula is a nightmare to get the flow right and not have the surface scum on the opposite side. You can beat the surface with flow but if it has nowhere to drain, the surface scum will still collect in that pocket of water.

For my tank, you can see where the Tunze are. They are placed ~6" from the glass and pointed slightly at an angle toward the center of the tank. This allows the pumps to push the flow to the end of the tank, and return it to the overflow. It's a double gyre approach with center channel being drained into the overflow. I haven't had any issue with surface scum with this set up.

Nick

Capture.JPG

original.jpg

Not sure which Tim you're referring to...
Flow in a peninsula is tricky. Especially one(tank) that is not wide enough. A narrow peninsula is a nightmare to get the flow right and not have the surface scum on the opposite side. You can beat the surface with flow but if it has nowhere to drain, the surface scum will still collect in that pocket of water.

For my tank, you can see where the Tunze are. They are place ~6" from the glass pointed slightly at angle toward the center of the tank. This allows the pumps to push the flow to the end of the tank, and return it to the overflow. It's a double gyre approach with center channel being drained into the overflow. I haven't had any issue with surface scum with this set up.

Nick

View attachment 125684

original.jpg

LOL, I meant "Nick" :) Sorry

That's what I am doing with the pumps. As you mentioned a narrower tank is a bit trickier but I got it to work. I have the Tunzes pointing out towards the sides of the tank so I can achieve the same return flow in the middle like in your graph.

Just wanted to see if you found a better way of doing it. Thanks for the reply

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back