Nominations for 2020 BOD.

aresangel

Tim- 2020- Secretary, 2019 BRS President
BRS Member
Hi everyone, this is copied from a couple years ago. It is that time to step up and support the club with your time energy and expertise. We are looking for anyone interested in running for the BoD. Here are the details below: please announce your intention to run by December 20th to be on the ballot at our December 28th meeting.

I hope you don't mind me copying this Chris @Flame Angel but I couldn't sum this up any better :)

Per the BRS bylaws:
BYLAWS

ALL officer and BOD positions will be up for election each year. Those positions include 5 officers, and 4 at-large BOD members, and I will briefly list what the folks have tended to do:

President - The main representative for the BRS. Works on defining the direction of the club and content of meetings and activities. Contacts and books speakers, arranges travel and accommodations. Arranges venues for meetings. Introduces speakers and makes announcements at meetings. Resolves disputes. Brings important issues up to the BRS BOD, makes decisions without BOD input when necessary or practical. Helps to set policies for moderation, forum operations, and interactions with sponsors. Helps to set goals for the club, 'steer the ship'. Works with other officers and BOD members, particularly the VP of PR, to generate funds for the club through a variety of means, including soliciting donations from industry manufacturers and sponsors. Delegates responsibility as necessary for many of the above duties to many of the officers and BOD members listed below.

Vice-President - Performs many of the functions of the president when the president is not available, or the president delegates the work. This is true for all of the offices below, many people holding the posts volunteer to perform tasks as they come up.

Vice-President of Public Relations - the primary liaison between the BRS and the banner and forum sponsors. Helps to set policy with regards to sponsorship issues. Helps to recruit new sponsors.

Secretary – keeps notes at BRS general and BOD meetings, keeps and posts important club records.

Treasurer – maintains control of club finances. Writes checks for speaker travel reimbursement, honoraria, meeting venues. Helps to compile records for required tax filings as a non-profit.

Board of Directors – at large positions – Four positions. These members of the BOD help with many of the tasks listed above. They also will often volunteer to perform special projects which relate to club activities.

There are more details about what the ‘official’ tasks of the various offices are supposed to perform in the BRS Bylaws which is at the top of the BRS forum. It might also be worthwhile reading that if you are considering running.

Details regarding running for office:

The elections will be held at the December meeting. Any paid BRS members with more than 90 days of paid membership can run. Before any member/BOD member may run for President/Vice President/Treasurer they must be in office (currently on the Board) for no less than one term. One term of office has been deemed no less than 9 months. Should no members run for the officer positions who have the qualifications listed above then these position will be open any members with more than 90 days of paid membership.

There will be NO on-line voting. However, you CAN mail in your vote. We will specify an address (TBD) when it gets closer to the election date. It is strongly recommended that if you want to run for office, make it known ahead of time. This gives you time to campaign a bit if you like, and to explain to the members about how you would like to change the way the club operates (if you do), or to just think carefully about how much time you have to devote to the club. It is expected of any BOD member/officer that they REGULARLY check in regarding issues that the club is facing. It is also a requirement that all BOD members attend the once-per-quarter BOD meetings that are held. A lot gets done at these meetings, and they are usually held at one officer's home.

Regarding making it known you’d like to run. In the past we set it up so that each person that wanted to run could have their own thread in the BRS business section which would describe the reasons they wanted to run, how they wanted to change or shape BRS policy. Your thread will then be stuck to the top of the BRS Business Area. Once you have made it know you want to run your nomination must be seconded by a paid member to make it valid.

At a bare minimum, anyone that wants to run should announce so below. I’ve asked all the current officers and BOD members that plan to run to also announce as well. In the recent past we have not had much in the way of competition for the officer/BOD positions, perhaps this year will be different. Please don’t be afraid of hard feelings; if you want to run for a position, even if some officer has said they plan to run again, go ahead and do so. There is PLENTY of work for everyone, and for those that want to help, whether they run for position and win or not, we will find things for you to do!

OK, that's the boilerplate. There's a lot of data to absorb there, so you may want to read it a couple of times. I did. Please feel free to contact me or any other BOD member if you have questions about running, and what's entailed after you 'win'.

If you're thinking of stepping up, please take a moment and make sure that you will be able to fulfill the time commitments a BOD position entails.

Some thoughts.......

We count on BOD members to help out at meetings and activities, so if you work a lot of hours, or a lot of weekends, that puts more of a load on the remainder of the BOD, and it makes it harder for everyone else. I 100% understand that we all have to earn a living, and I have had to miss meetings for work, but the important thing is to try to plan on getting to as many of the monthly meetings as possible, and ALL of the BOD meetings, so be honest with how many you think you will be able to attend.

Secondly, if you go days (or weeks) without logging onto the site, that is also problematic. We have an active membership of many unique personalities, and issues crop up almost daily. We need someone who will be willing to check in frequently, (hopefully daily). Your experience in reefing is helpful, but your experience in patience is even more important. The BOD also guides the moderation staff, so input is helpful there as well. Participation is really important; you're part of the club leadership, so being visible counts - even if it's to comment on a photo, or answer a question from a newbie in the introduction forum.

Thirdly, is the position you want to run for something you can do / like to do?

If you were to run for President of the club, can you lead the club? Deal with the personalities and politics? Entertain speakers? Be the face of the BRS?

If you want to run for VP, can you interact with the rest of the BOD, and deal with delegated tasks?

If you were running for VP-PR, can you interact with sponsors meaningfully? Keep track of contracts and renewal dates? Prospect for new sponsors? Visit?

If you were running for Treasurer, can you keep track of financial records? Can you keep track of meeting and speaker expenses?

If you were running for Secretary, can you take and keep track of meeting minutes, and get them posted in a timely fashion?

If you want to run for an at-large Board member, do you want to help the club? Can you devote the time to help manage the forum? Can you make the BOD and monthly meetings? Help out with projects and activities with the club, like running the annual auction, for instance?

I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from running...I just want to make sure that you know what you'll be getting yourself into

One final thought....It IS a lot of work, and there are a lot of rewards to go along with them. I have had the privilege of serving this club, and have met some fine people, and made some good friends.
So - announce, campaign, and may the club benefit from everyone's efforts. Good luck to all those who run.

If you have questions... ask me at a meeting or another member of the BOD or shoot me a PM with any questions you may have.:)

Let's make the BRS better than it's ever been :)

As current president I want to thank everyone on the BOD who worked their butt off for the auction and show. Big shout out to @Joe Rice for keeping the forums going strong and @BiGGiePauls33 for taking the reigns this year and stepping up.

with that being said I would like to nominate @BiGGiePauls33 to be president if he would accept the nomination. He has really done all the work for meetings and organizing events and contacting sponsors the last several months.

As current president I want to thank everyone on the BOD who worked their butt off for the auction and show. Big shout out to @Joe Rice for keeping the forums going strong and @BiGGiePauls33 for taking the reigns this year and stepping up.

with that being said I would like to nominate @BiGGiePauls33 to be president if he would accept the nomination. He has really done all the work for meetings and organizing events and contacting sponsors the last several months.
Thanks Tim for the nomination. I gladly accept the nomination and look forward to becoming President of Boston Reefers Society for the upcoming year. I know with continued hard work from myself and all those involved, not only officers of the club, but as individual members of this community we can make it this club really shine. I have a few things up my sleeve for things to come. Thanks for the nomination and look forward to seeing everyone on the 29th.

I will stay on as BOD if elected. I enjoy steering the club in the direction it has been going, but Paul is better organized and has better contacts and relationships in the community than I. On the BOD I will continue to help organize meetings, the show, and the auction. These events have not only been good for the club but great for the community.

second child in the house has taken more of my energy and time and Paul and Chris have stepped up to lead this year and I look forward to serving with them!

I will stay on as BOD if elected. I enjoy steering the club in the direction it has been going, but Paul is better organized and has better contacts and relationships in the community than I. On the BOD I will continue to help organize meetings, the show, and the auction. These events have not only been good for the club but great for the community.

second child in the house has taken more of my energy and time and Paul and Chris have stepped up to lead this year and I look forward to serving with them!
You got my vote Tim. Second the nomination.

Uhh... Anyone else want to run?! I was just at the "how long have you been a member section"... I started in 2016 and have been on the BOD for 2 years... so common people lets step up.

Current BOD members if they want to continue should voice their desire to. @Joe Rice @Aquatic Nerd @CrypticLifeStyle @jamesdong009 @Arsalan

Currently the nominations are:

Pres-
Biggie Pauls 33

VP-
Chris A

BOD-
Aresangel
Cpage101

We have the following positions unopposed:
VP of Public Relations
Secretary
Treasurer
BOD (5 total spots available)

Don't make me start nominating people! :)

I'd actually prefer not to be on the BOD next year. Still happy to keep doing web site maintenance.

Also I can't make the meeting on the 29th - I'll be out of town.

Can i put my name down to be a bod? I have been a member for a long time just under a different name.

Once again, I will be running for Treasurer. It's been another tough year with work and not being able to devote as much time as I would like to the club. Hopefully things will change as we are working on my backups and replacements. Also recently bought two tanks so hopefully that'll be motivation for me to be more involved in the hobby :).

The BOD members this year have done a tremendous job keeping the club going as well as the running the Fragtastic show.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back