Normal temperature swing from heater

jasonrusso

Non-member
I'm setting up a QT tank for a new arrival. I bought a new Aqueon Pro heater (which I have on one of the DT tanks but it never turns on).

The threshold for the heater seems like it is about a full degree. 77.2 to 78.4 degrees. Granted, this takes about 40 minutes to move, but does that seem normal? On the DT, my fans drop the tank temperature about 0.5 degrees in 10 minutes with no adverse reactions.

The thermometer is on the other side of the tank, but I would think moving water would be pretty constant.

I use aqueon pro heaters in my QT and DT. I set them for 78 degrees and I never see it stray from 78. I did have one malfunction on me once (the heater would always heat the water to a few degrees below what I set it to) and aqueon sent a replacement

They are the only heaters I use. On my dt the apex controls it. On the qt I let it do it’s own thing. I set it to 78 and leave it. Never had an issue.

Mine is set at 78 and it keeps my 72 bowfront between 76-78 all winter. I have a back up titanium heater set at 76 that kicks on when it gets too cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine is set at 78 and it keeps my 72 bowfront between 76-78 all winter. I have a back up titanium heater set at 76 that kicks on when it gets too cold.

I guess I don't think that 1 degree fluctuation over 30-40 minutes is going to matter too much. When we float a bag for 15 minutes to temp match, it is likely more than 1 degree.

The heater is oversized. 200W in a 10 gallon, but the tank is in the basement where the temp is 48-50 degrees, so I need a +30 increase. I think this is where the heater loses resolution. I've qt'd fish down there before, but never really looked at the temp that closely. I just made sure it was where I wanted it. I never paid attention to the range, so they were likely all this way.

I use Cobalt Neo-Therm heaters as they only fluctuate by about a 1/2 degree.

I swapped the Eheim Jager from my feeder tank. After watching both, I realized that it has about a 0.7 degree swing. I put the Aqueon in the feeder tank. I think it's negligible, but feeder shrimp are less important than my new lionfish.

The Eheim is rated at 150 watts, but I sincerely doubt it. It is bigger than the Aqueon and seems to heat the water just as fast.

The titianium has a higher conductivity rating. So even though the heating element is rated for less wattage it will transfer the heat made much faster than the aqueon pro.

I like the titianium ones (finnex) but have the aqueon pros for my primary in the tanks because of their lifetime warranty.

The titianium has a higher conductivity rating. So even though the heating element is rated for less wattage it will transfer the heat made much faster than the aqueon pro.

I like the titianium ones (finnex) but have the aqueon pros for my primary in the tanks because of their lifetime warranty.

The Eheim is just a glass tube, but the heating coil is probably 50% of the length.

I have the Aqueon Pro in my nano because its plastic, so I don't have to worry about bumping it. Also the Red Sea was junk, 4° swing!! With the skimmer and return pumps, the heater never turns on anyway!

In my 210 I have 2 Aquavia 300w titanium. They are old analog style. They also rarely turn on. One is the backup.

Eheim is still the best hobby grade heater. Marineland, aquaon especially Hydor are totally unreliable. I learned my lesson over the years.

Surprisingly, the alcheapo Jebao heaters are more reliable than the ones mentioned above. Go figure.

Eheim is still the best hobby grade heater. Marineland, aquaon especially Hydor are totally unreliable. I learned my lesson over the years.

I don't like Hydor anything. I had a powerhead split open and start constantly tripping my GFI.

Also, the new fish arrived today.

Attachments

• 20181229_130000.jpg
    20181229_130000.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 155
  • 20181229_150756.jpg
    20181229_150756.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 176
My LA order came in today as well. Delayed a day at the airport in California. They said the package missed its flight. Lost a tang and an anthias in the process.

My LA order came in today as well. Delayed a day at the airport in California. They said the package missed its flight. Lost a tang and an anthias in the process.
Last year I ordered from Divers Den and the UPS truck broke down on the way to the airport. It was delayed an extra day. The fish arrived barely alive and never really recovered. He died within a week.

This order was delayed at some point as well, but I did get it next day. I paid extra for Saturday shipping so I wouldn't have it at work all day. From packing to in the tank was 18 hours.

I guess you can't really blame LA, but maybe they should look into FedEx. They seem a bit more reliable.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181229-215448.jpg
    Screenshot_20181229-215448.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 160
Yeah mine shipped the 27th for the 28th. Eventually made here late afternoon on the 29th. The packing was not their best work either.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back