Oceanic 120 tech tech tank closet basement sump reboot

daves-reef

Non-member
Took about a month but the 120 gallon display is finally cleaned up. Most of BTAs are removed, Half the sand removed and rest vacuumed out with water changes. Re-work of the rock is done I only put back a little more than half the rock. Probably should have been less for a more open look I was planing. It was a full rock wall before and now there are couple of arches and towers. I am mostly happy with it.

Before a.k.a. The BTA explosion:

120_BTA
by David Gordon, on Flickr

That's a BTA explosion alright! Definitely a more open look now. I think that the fish must appreciate that amount of rock - some tanks go so light on rock that it can't provide much for hiding spaces and "fun" places for them to explore.

Quite the change indeed, it looks great! I personally love more open space, it’s all a balance though

Started cleaning up and working on the sump closet this weekend. Gave the skimmer a long overdue breakdown and cleaning. Fixed an issue with where overflow empties into sump replacing flimsy basket with a hard plastic bucket.

IMG_2329
Upgraded refugium 1 by adding spray bars and baskets to hold different algae types.

fuge1-1

fuge1-3

Next up is refugium 2. Need to to upgrade light (Looking for uber cheap LED) that will keep anemones, xenia and maybe double as a frag tank in future.

IMG_2334

The small algae cycle I had is basically over. Added some color over last few weeks. Some new frags and a few old that were salvaged and are coloring back up. Posting some pictures as start to see how they look in a month or two.

Next upgrade will be trying to chase (Always a bad idea chasing numbers) my low PH. At its worst it was bottoming out at night 7.69. I thought it was probe or apex but have calibrated several times. Going to work on that next week. Made first change and that got daily range now at 7.80-7.92 Details to come.

Added some more color from FFM and others. Some new zoa's, some Acans, Some other LPS, and few SPS frags. I also installed the Kessil A360X I won in the FFM raffle to go with the 2 A360WE I already had.
The only upgrade planned for now is to change the flow with new wave pump of some kind.

Quite a bit of color in there now that will hopefully grow in.....:cool:
Decided to try a video instead of just photos. There are few SPS frags I might do an ID post for, just to see if they have a fancy name.

Looks awesome chief. Great job and hell of a turnaround. Love all the corals and those acans are awesome!
:cool:
Did you make that rock ledge on the overflow yourself or?

The ledge is actually from a FFM raffle 5 years ago just decided to use it now.
Looks super sharp! I Like that look. Anyone know where i could get something like that please advise...i know some people do they're own etc but need a few of those for a future and present build for some different aquascape.

There was a vendor at FFM that had some that looked different. I wanted to get one but never made it back to buy it. Let me see if I can find the name and I will post it.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back