Oh oh...flat worms

TomD

Non-member
I've been training in my new job all week in my office waiting for my new red seat Nano to arrive. I went to my old cubicle today to do some work and realized I have flat worms in my 13.5 gallon nano tank on the desk everything in the tank is cheap corals but there's a piece of live rock that I love. The Red Sea tank is going to be delivered for my new office any day with plenty of dry Rock after I get the fish out what is the best thing I should do? They are clear flatworms. Since I'm transitioning to a brand new tank now is the time to have this problem eradicated should I not even use the piece of live rock that I love? I was thinking of just giving everything to a store and giving them a piece of live rock I like a freshwater dip or just keep it in the bucket with flatworm exit any help or advice is appreciated haven't dealt with flatworms in a very long time

How old is the tank? Just about every tank I've ever set up has had an early phase where flatworms were visible. Then they just "went away" I've never had them grow out to plague proportions. Are they bothering any coral or just hanging on the rocks and glass?

you are going to setup up a new tank and since you know your old tank has flat worm, and has cheap corals then why not start all over again. If you like that piece of rock then clean it (cook it) and re-use it in the new tank.

good luck

Yes for flatworms exit, you can do a double dose the first day and change 50% of water the next day. Then give it another dose a week after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow... it must be flatworm spawning season. I went home for lunch today, looked at my tank and noticed some of my zoa's were closed up. Noticed a bunch of red-planaria flatworms around them. Ugh!

This tank has been running for almost 2 years they were everywhere so what I'm going to do since it's mostly pump humming Xenia and worthless polyps is bring it back to Jays let him have all the corals and I'm going to freshwater the hell out of the Flat Rock that I like I'll buy some new live rock and treat it I already have plenty of dry Rock on the way I spent $1,000 on all this equipment and my company has yet to reimburse me and I don't know if they will so the last thing I want is flatworms in my new Red Sea tank! Thank you for everybody's advice

This tank has been running for almost 2 years they were everywhere so what I'm going to do since it's mostly pump humming Xenia and worthless polyps is bring it back to Jays let him have all the corals and I'm going to freshwater the hell out of the Flat Rock that I like I'll buy some new live rock and treat it I already have plenty of dry Rock on the way I spent $1,000 on all this equipment and my company has yet to reimburse me and I don't know if they will so the last thing I want is flatworms in my new Red Sea tank! Thank you for everybody's advice

Seems like an extreme approach to me, but ok. :) If it's red planara type of fw and you don't have much livestock anyway, then I would just ue fw exit. I've also used it in past with positive results, and like others said it seems they go through spawning phases but then die down to manageable proportions.

I used potassium pomegranate on a 1g jar tank a few years back with 100% within 2 days, and dog dewormer in fw tanks for shrimp pests nurmerous times with success. Options to consider. All has it's pros, and cons.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back