Old school MH users - I value your opinions

ECExotics

BRS Member
What do you guys recommend for a double end hqi bulb for acropora dominated system? I have only used MH briefly 5-6 years ago with ZERO direction. I recall using Phoenix bulbs, I think I ran 14 or 15k... probably not the most asthetically pleasing but definitely grew coral. I would like to find the deepest blue that I can (20-22k?). I assume you would still achieve a fairly balanced spectrum that will grow stonies but is pleasing to the eye. What do you run for bulbs on your sps tanks? Any and every experience is welcome. Oh the fixture is a dual 150w dual end hqi (300w) over 48”.

Ive never ran hqi or 150w
Hamilton makes some nice blue 20k’s but as you already know ,usually the higher the kelvin the lower the growth.

Ive never ran hqi or 150w
Hamilton makes some nice blue 20k’s but as you already know ,usually the higher the kelvin the lower the growth.
That is where I’m torn Chris...not sure if I should go lower and use supplemental light for blues? Reefbrites or reefbreefer “high octane uv” it is 380nm should make them pop. Thanks for responding brother

I'm running 2-250w MHs HQI Aqua-medic. Using the phoenix 14ks I love the growth but they do lack the color pop. This just happens to be my issue right now. I think of adding has LED bars maybe reefbreeders 2 royal ice or 1RI & 1High octane. High octane may be too much with the MHs not sure tho. Maybe 2-orphek OR120 blue plus. Not sure if this helps.

I'm running 2-250w MHs HQI Aqua-medic. Using the phoenix 14ks I love the growth but they do lack the color pop. This just happens to be my issue right now. I think of adding has LED bars maybe reefbreeders 2 royal ice or 1RI & 1High octane. High octane may be too much with the MHs not sure tho. Maybe 2-orphek OR120 blue plus. Not sure if this helps.
VERY helpful! I take something from everybody’s experience then see how I can use what I learned to improve my systems. Thank you for your help!

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back