Old timers

StrikeThree

Non-member
Hey guys, it’s been a LONG time, but I’m back. Tried to register today and saw my email and user name were already in use lol, forgot I’d even registered here. Does anyone know if this is a continuation of the Boston Reefers Society we founded back around 1999-2000 at the Rainforest Cafe? Maybe at the Burlington Mall? I think there were like 5-6 of us there, anyone who went to that meeting on here? Anyway, looking forward to catching up on the hobby!

Lol guess I should have read down the list, just saw Moe’s post!

I am newer to the club and hobby, but if Greg Hiller was one of those guys then I think it is. We should have a “History of BRS” page on our website, that is something I would be interested in. From the founding to what we have done (macna I heard) etc.

Moe is back, not sure who else you would remember, maybe One Eye, Toomanyfish/chris A.?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I predate the Boston Reefers forums, most of what we did was in person and I think we had a board over at reefs.org. I remember Moe for sure, I think Randy Holmes Farley may have been involved, etc. I probably have all the original emails archived somewhere, happy to share!

I remember the big party at the mansion, good old times [emoji3],he was really good at the BRS auction .
We need to bring him back .

Lol guess I should have read down the list, just saw Moe’s post!
Welcome back!
I think you and I are the the only guys left who met at Rainforest Cafe in Burlington way back when. You had to relocate for work, right?
I kept posting on reefs.org and assembled an email list. Shortly thereafter we met up at Kelly's Roast Beef, and I met Greg Hiller, Chuck Spyro, Marvin, Mike A, Joe Scavo, Steve Shannon, Paula and a few others. Those meetings brought about the Boston Reefers.

I am newer to the club and hobby, but if Greg Hiller was one of those guys then I think it is. We should have a “History of BRS” page on our website, that is something I would be interested in. From the founding to what we have done (macna I heard) etc.

Moe is back, not sure who else you would remember, maybe One Eye, Toomanyfish/chris A.?

I wrote an article for the newsletter a few years ago about the history of the BRS. I can't figure how to access those old newsletters, though.

I wrote an article for the newsletter a few years ago about the history of the BRS. I can't figure how to access those old newsletters, though.

Is it on the website somewhere? @Joe Rice is there a way to access those newsletters?

I might have the actual newsletters archived somewhere.... believe it or not. I will check through my stuff.

The thing spawned on reefs.org many moons ago. The original meet-up was at the Rainforest Cafe, as stated. Moe maintained an email list and we had a forum section if memory serves me. At some point in 2000/2001 we did a frag workshop at Greg Hillers. I think it was like 10 or 20 bucks a person and we had food and got larry Jackson Acro frags and neon green nepthia. I remember telling my SO at the time that I was going to meet up with some fellow fish-geeks at this "guys" house and that if I did not check in that I might be chopped up in some dudes basement ;) . I met Moe there as well as a handful of other great people. The name was suggested and I procured a logo. It was a major-cool time to be involved with the hobby. Lot's of innovation. Many people starting to take advantage of the internet's potential. The Kelly's meeting was awesome - mainly because we were asked to leave. Too many people with too many Styrofoam containers in one place ... in 2001.

The club decided to incorporate during meeting at the NEAQ (New England Aquarium). Brian (forget his last name) set us up in the venue. I remember walking in and trying to find Moe. I was pretty hung over from the night before - I was like 25 at the time - and I came into the venue to find only a couple people. We then opened a door to a packed conference room - approximately 75 peeps showed up (what to do now?)! We had an impromptu, pre-BRS member donated / funded swap (lots of xenia) :) . That was 2002. The original board: Moe: Pres, Me: VP, Jim Nguyen: Treasurer, Jim (forget his name) Secretary. Moe: Fill in the blanks. We decided that a 501C3 made sense. This was much due to Jim N's advice (read: expertise). 2 years later we hosted the 16th annual MACNA - but that's a story unto itself....

Lot's of history. I reflect very fondly on the early days of BRS.

Last edited:
A few old pics from tank tours and meetings
DSCN2979.JPG
:

Attachments

• calfo-Moe-joe.jpg
    calfo-Moe-joe.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 807
  • DSCN2057.JPG
    DSCN2057.JPG
    133.1 KB · Views: 791
  • DSCN2063.JPG
    DSCN2063.JPG
    150.7 KB · Views: 789
  • DSCN2066.JPG
    DSCN2066.JPG
    133 KB · Views: 805
  • DSCN2071.JPG
    DSCN2071.JPG
    161.2 KB · Views: 815
  • DSCN2072.JPG
    DSCN2072.JPG
    156.1 KB · Views: 816
  • DSCN2492.JPG
    DSCN2492.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 789
  • DSCN2552.JPG
    DSCN2552.JPG
    167.7 KB · Views: 779
  • DSCN2099.JPG
    DSCN2099.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 799
A few old pics from tank tours and meetingsView attachment 121740:

YO Joe its Chad from NB been a min.

Got any pics from the Meetings at my place I know Marco had some some years back.

From New Bedford remember?

I was around with Moe,Hiller Scavo and we made rock in a Kiddy pool outside I think that's the point Marco found his nitch LOL IN fact I thi nk it may have been him that's brought all the supplies to make it LOl.

So I've also been around the better part of 20 years now my old name was also deleted from the early 2000's

2017 photo is me an mike on the bus with our wifes

mike and I took take joe and moe to NY and show them the stores
the ones me and mike use to buy from once a month
then we had a few cars loaded with club members and traveled to 5-6 stores in CT and NY in one day

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back