One Led or 6T5

JD'sReef

Non-member
Setting up my new 46 corner mixed reef (would like a nice birds nest as a centerpiece) and I am torn. I have had T5’s (4 bulb over my 90) with great lps growth. In my prior 46bow, I had a 275MH and 29x96 watt PC’s.
In my new hood I could easily build a 6bulb T5 retro or I could do (and want) a single Kessil A360X. I am no supper tech savvy and am wondering if the LED and dongle are worth it. It will easily be $2/300 more for the lED’s and the T5’s and will give me plenty of light coverage.
Just lost my job and trying to figure out where to be spending majority of my money on this tank build.
Be well thank you
J.

I think you have to factor in the cost of replacement T5 bulbs. I'd guess once every year. 6 bulbs will run into money fast if you are thinking long term.

With a big birds nest, T5s would be better for shading. Plus, the initial cost is lower and would give you more cash on hand for other things. Or, you may want to consider some older gen LEDs such as 2 AI Sol Blues. I saw great SPS growth under AI Sol Blues.

Thanks,
I really want to do a hybrid style hood so maybe I will think about the older Led's and add a few T5's later down the road.
Be well,
J.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back