Ongoing study; ick

BananaHammox

Non-member
I have an ongoing theory: expose the fish to ick (yes I know; unheard of, right?). Feed that mofo food loaded with garlic and nutrient soaked food, install a Hugo UV sterilizer, reduce lights to 2-4 hours/day until all ick is cleared. Repeat. Maybe I’m playing with Fire, maybe nature is Darwinism’ing ....but my 180 bowfront tank, is . Knock on wood but this process has been ongoing for over 2 years, and so far .

Ich is a parasite, fish will not develop immunity to it.
UV sterilizer is well studied that will not work on ich.
When fish is healthy, it will not get ich.
Ich is always in the tank.

Agreed; but as long as ich has a host to feed off: no host = no food = death. As humans, we’re given exposure to small doses of diseases as infants as which our immune system fights off. I may be completely out of line, and I’ve read the studies about UV sterilizers, but I disagree. Maybe my tank is an anomaly; maybe I’ve been straight up lucky. Either way, it’s something to think about.

But healthy fish can have ich and not show signs or minuscule signs that we miss. Dong is right, what are are saying is be a healthy person and you will not get bitten by mosquitos.

I know that food you eat changes the “flavor” of us which is why some foods keep mosquitos away. But in a closed system if it is eat something not tasty or die.... most organisms choose survival over personal flavor tastes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember reading somewhere that UV "could" work, but the size and flow would have to be LARGE.......and at that point you would be killing off any beneficial bacteria and microscopic "critters".
As stated above, just because no signs are being displayed does not mean Ich has been eradicated, the host's immune system is strong enough to keep it at bay from an outbreak.
Garlic in food just entice's a fish's appetite-to eat more to get/stay stronger-to help it's immune system.

Agree 100% with : “Healthy fish will not get sick/ick.” Also, just giving my finding guys: thought you guys would at least find this interesting, not attack lol

I also run 2 UV sterilizers, one 9 watt, and one 28 watt, and this tank is FOWLR.

......Side note, the directions say, “Check to see light bulb is on.” Never do this!! I was in emergency room two weeks ago from “checking” to make sure 28 watt bulb was working... left with steroid eye drops from burnt retinas!!

Either way, I would not introduce ich.

I would be interested in seeing your research. Is it anecdotal incidences or hobbiest studies or scientist/research university studies. Like with most things on the internet or facebook I always try to fact check and don’t buy something I read at face value.

If I did that I would be vegan and believe trump is the smartest person ever.

......Side note, the directions say, “Check to see light bulb is on.” Never do this!! I was in emergency room two weeks ago from “checking” to make sure 28 watt bulb was working... left with steroid eye drops from burnt retinas!!

OMG, that was terrible.

Once its in the system, its in your system. Going fallow is one of the only ways to break the life cycle of the parasite and eradicate it from your system. Garlic, feeding heavy, UV, cleaner shrimp/wrasses, etc will not get the parasite out of your system. All your doing is minimizing an outbreak or just keeping it at bay. The life cycle of the parasite will just continue as long as there is a host (fish) in the system.

Back