ORA Released Captive Bred Manderins

Yeah for real. That is an incredible breakthrough!

I wonder if they are just breeding the green and target mandarins, or if the "red" mandarin (looks a lot like green mandarin but has flashier fins, with the little 'flag' over the head) will also be available.

Either way I'm really excited about this, both because it will be easier for aquarists to keep these fish now, and because more of the wild fish will be able to stay in the ocean.

Edit: Hooray for reading comprehension. From the article: "while “Blue and Red Mandarins will be available in more limited quantities”. Awesome!

Last edited:
This is awesome! I would def pay the extra for these bad boys if they grew up on frozen... I'm sure they're going to fetch a pretty penny at first but well worth it!

thats guys! yeah.. I always wanted one but my tanks are always nano sized... this should be good if they eat mysis

Nice... I wonder if one can peacefully hang with a Midas Blenny. I'll be keeping my eyes open for this one. Though I expect crazy prices with the initial release.

I was just reading I can't wait. I did well with my last mandarin but was going to wait this time until I found one that was eating frozen. Although, I want a psychedelic.

That is very exciting.

If there is a choice between buying a captive breed fish or a wild caught I know that for me it will always be the captive breed fish. If it cost a significant amount more for the captive one, I'd still be willing to pay for it. Companies that aquaculture salt water fish need to continue to push forward and be able to raise new fish! I'll support that any day.

There will be an ORA Mandarin in my tank this summer. I'll drive to Boston if I can't find one in RI.

That is very exciting.

If there is a choice between buying a captive breed fish or a wild caught I know that for me it will always be the captive breed fish. If it cost a significant amount more for the captive one, I'd still be willing to pay for it. Companies that aquaculture salt water fish need to continue to push forward and be able to raise new fish! I'll support that any day.

There will be an ORA Mandarin in my tank this summer. I'll drive to Boston if I can't find one in RI.

My thoughts exactly!
Well put Barry

I actually just picked up a femal mandarin after a long search.

It would be nice to have both male & female available through captive breading.

WIll also be nice if they are already eating frozen food, will make keeping these beautiful creatures much easier.

John

Were Mandarins hard to keep. I don't remember mandarins being that hard to keep?? Mine I always got from -b- and they would eat frozen or I wouldn't buy them...

I guess my experience with them really wasn't that long, maybe 1.5 yrs...I just didn't have too much of a problem ...

Others?

I found it at Krystal Klear. They had several and when we checked one was a female.

I am sure you can request one from any supplier and if they get one they will call you but I know that males usually all thats available.

Were Mandarins hard to keep. I don't remember mandarins being that hard to keep?? Mine I always got from -b- and they would eat frozen or I wouldn't buy them...

I guess my experience with them really wasn't that long, maybe 1.5 yrs...I just didn't have too much of a problem ...

Others?

Most that come from the stores do not eat frozen, they can be trained but you need to have enough pods to keep them fed or they will perrish.

Mine has slowly started taking frozen food and will grab a piece that floats by when I feed my tank, but he is not fast enough to get a lot of food before the rest of my fish finish it off so I need to have pods to make sure he has plenty to eat.

John

Mine has slowly started taking frozen food and will grab a piece that floats by when I feed my tank, but he is not fast enough to get a lot of food before the rest of my fish finish it off so I need to have pods to make sure he has plenty to eat.

John[/QUOTE]

I had the same problem in my 30G nano. I bought a mandarin that was eating frozen like a maniac in the store. The problem was that he was by himself in the tank at the store, which meant he had no other fish to eat his food. When I fed the frozen at home with the other fish, they would eat it all first. Since I have a smaller tank with no sump, I don't have a ton of pods to supplement the frozen. The little guy started starving and almost died, but I got him out in time and gave him to another BRS member with a large tank, and last time I saw him, he was fat, happy, and much bigger.

Unfortunately, I don't think this helps people with smaller tanks, which usually are the only people that have trouble with these guys.

That is freakin' awesome! I just had the biggest smile on my face reading that, hah.

ORA mandarin? I'm giddy like a schoolgirl to think about owning one without worrying about slaving over growing it's food.

Yup, these will be a true asset to the hobby. All the more reason to support ORA whenever possible...stuff like this...

GOOD JOB!

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back