Orchid dottyback compatibility?

jasonrusso

Non-member
I have a 32 gallon red sea. I have 2 midnight clowns, a blue spot goby, and 1 firefish (was 2 firefish but one died, got killed by the ****** pistol shrimp, etc). I want to replace the firefish, but I read that you can't add another firefish. They need to be bonded.

I was at the LFS today, and he had a few captive bred orchid dottybacks (they are orchids, they have the stripe over their eyes). From what I can research, the orchids are the most peaceful, the yellow and magenta are aggressive. Has anyone kept one of these? Any issues with my stock list? I know clowns can be a problem, but mine keep to themselves and don't bother the firefish or the goby.

In my 25ish gallon I have 2 percula clowns, 1 pajama cardinal, a tail spot blenny, a small shrimp goby and an orchid dottyback with no issues. I've had multiple tank/captive bread orchid dottybacks and have never had any issues with them. I was worried about the tail spot with it since they are similar size and color but they've been model citizens... I've also had orchid dottybacks with purple and normal firefish with no isses as well...

Should I get 2?

I read that firefish are shy and easily spooked, but I can put my hands in the tank and he doesn't hide.

I strongly suspect in your small system, unless you obtained a bonded pair, a dottyback would fight with another dottyback or gramma.

I strongly suspect in your small system, unless you obtained a bonded pair, a dottyback would fight with another dottyback or gramma.

When I got my orchid I also added a royal gramma. I had that same concern. My experience has been positive. My tank is bigger but these two fish pretty much live right in the same spot.

Mines a 120g with a ton of rock. The orchids spends much of its time in the rocks, the gramma is out much more, but they both share the same section of the tank

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back