Our Families Reef Journal

So heres a few pictures from today. The Haddoni is in a new spot, I relocated the powerheads to take care of a dead spot and it did not like the new flow pattern. So here is an almost FTS from today. Then a couple of the haddoni
DSC_0310.jpg

DSC_0306.jpg

DSC_0313.jpg

Thanks, here are a few from today. Tomorrow makes one week with the Ritteri, it has not deflated. Just wish my female would stop mouth diving so it can completely close, its not gaping just about the size of a dime to nickle depending if she is diving in or not.

DSC_0741_zpsf84298a9.jpg

DSC_0721_zpsbcb2fc8d.jpg

Note: Today was the first water change with the ESV salt, switched from Red Sea Coral Pro.

That haddoini has awesome color, how is the new salt? I use coral pro, why did ya switch?

That haddoini has awesome color, how is the new salt? I use coral pro, why did ya switch?

The haddoni was removed for the ritteri. I switched salts because the last 2 buckets of coral pro were very inconsistent alk was down in the 6s and since they switched to the new formula I the residue has increased in my mixing container (44 gallon Brute) I should have taken pictures last week when I cleaned it out, I filled it with freshwater and vinegar the next morning the water was so brown the I could only see the first 3-4" of the pumps power cord. I know that everyone says the residue is not harmful but it can't be good. The salt is a little bit more work but it mixes extremely fast and EXTREMELY CLEAR there's no residue and its ready to use within 20 minutes. The total time to make 20 gallons was an hour, that includes weighing out the water, and doing a 10 gallon water change. Going to do another 10 today. I do have to say that with all pumps off while adding the water back in things (like my acans and zoas) were still open and extended which has not happened before during a water change.

Matt where did u get that ritteri from ???
Thanks I got it from the marketplace here, he has one left.
http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums/showthread.php?128090-Ritteri-Anemones-(Heteractis-magnifica)-For-sale

Last edited:
On month update: So far it has only deflated once and that was probably because the piece of scallop that I fed was probably to big. Has not deflated since.

DSC_0008_zps480363c5.jpg

DSC_0020_zpsc1aa7dc5.jpg

Awesome looking tank Matt, :'( I miss my blue carpet. Wish I saw this earlier I would've harassed for it :).

This thread is one of the reasons I decided to go with this tank for my next setup! Great looking stuff Matt

Thanks. If I could do it over again I would not get it reef ready, the overflow is huge and takes up way too much room, and install my own overflow.

Thanks. If I could do it over again I would not get it reef ready, the overflow is huge and takes up way too much room, and install my own overflow.
I agree but even with the bulky overflow it's a beautiful tank at a size that is very affordable and easily manageable. I feel as though it's not quite a nano but certainly not so large that maintenance is a daunting task.

Thats really funny since that is my EXACT plan. I am going to get the non reef ready version and install a top middle 700 GPH overflow kit

That's a good plan, for me I wish I did a corner overflow spanning from the back wall to the right side seeing that side is close to a wall and is not a viewable side.

Yea I am planning on doing a volcano style rockwork that doesn't touch any of the walls, so the least amount of swimming room I could lose the better.

Its been awhile since I updated this. I lost the Ritteri when I was away in May, I came home to a mess luckily nothing else perished. Since then I have removed my sandbed, doing so I traded off my melanurus wrasse seeing they sleep in the sand. I added a couple of pieces, Aussue Gold Torch, a Hawkins, blue millie, and a green and purple wellso. Also sorry on the pictures they are with an iPhone my Nikon has a shutter error that happened on that trip to Hershey in May.

Wellsos

Pink Sand Dollar

Existing Wellso, gold torch and a chalice that needs a little TLC (older pic and the chalice is starting to come along)

I also switched my bulbs over to Pheonix 14K, with 3 ATI Blue+, and 1 Purple Plus

Finally replaced my camera, so heres some new shots on the upgraded camera. Also snagged an old school Kiron 28-210 Macro (full on manual) lens that I have yet to try out.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back