Overflow into sump question

AC_Rhino

Non-member
How deep into your sump to you let the overflow tube go? Right to the bottom? to the top of the tank? Somewhere in the middle? I'm not running socks or a skimmer in this sump just a refugium so I was figuring I'd run the hose all the way to the bottom on the overflow section as I won't ever have to worry about reverse siphon issues with it.

A: Short to the top of the sump
B: Straight to the bottom
C: F**k the world just stuff it in there
D: U shaped up
E: Curved laying flat on the bottom

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 483
How deep into your sump to you let the overflow tube go? Right to the bottom? to the top of the tank? Somewhere in the middle? I'm not running socks or a skimmer in this sump just a refugium so I was figuring I'd run the hose all the way to the bottom on the overflow section as I won't ever have to worry about reverse siphon issues with it.

A: Short to the top of the sump
B: Straight to the bottom
C: F**k the world just stuff it in there
D: U shaped up
E: Curved laying flat on the bottom

Just put the tube all the way down until it gets covered with water that way it keeps everything quiet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All depends on what type of drain system you’re using ( durso;herbie;beananimal )
If it’s a durso being completely underwater might make it gurgle, the other 2 I believe have to be underwater to work right but not 100%

In my bean animal (3 drains but really only 1 on a siphon). To get a siphon it needed to be at the top just under the water line. When I had it 6 inches down the siphon wouldn’t start because of back pressure.

So if you are going with a siphon, just under the water line. But with what Chris said now I am considering cutting the tubing to just above the waterline because I have a durso in my 180 and it gurgles all the time.

Thanks Chris!

Do you have a vent on top of the durso?

Yeah. I played around with the vent size. No vent it drains too fast and is noisy, large vent and it drains better but is louder. Trial and error (duct tape to seal the hole and then pens to make new holes [emoji23])

Yeah. I played around with the vent size. No vent it drains too fast and is noisy, large vent and it drains better but is louder. Trial and error (duct tape to seal the hole and then pens to make new holes [emoji23])

Try dropping mini zip ties into the hole to adjust, works surprisingly well.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back