overflow issue

rayluc

Non-member
I just setup a new 240 gallon tank and currently my overflow is not able to keep up with my pump. Right now i have the pump down so it could accommodate the flow from the overflow weir. is my only option to increase the flow rate from the overflow is the remove some of the teeth on the weir. if i have pump at full speed; the reservoir where the pump is would be very low close to a point where it it will break the syphon and the water tank in the tank will rise very close to the top of the tank. i assume that is the sign that the overflow is not keeping up with my pump. i've attached a picture of my overflow below. any input would be appreciated. thanks

Attachments

• overflow.jpg
    overflow.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 106
There are many moving parts to this issue but I would "assume" that the overflow itself would be able to keep up with a decent amount of flow. I would first look at the rest of the plumbing to ensure there are no other limiting factors. Are you sliming down after the bulkhead or something like that?

There are many moving parts to this issue but I would "assume" that the overflow itself would be able to keep up with a decent amount of flow. I would first look at the rest of the plumbing to ensure there are no other limiting factors. Are you sliming down after the bulkhead or something like that?
i'm not slimming down after the bulkhead. it's a 1" bulkhead drain with 1" pipe leading into the sump

the pump is rated at 1900 gph
Actually for that tank
With a turnover 6 to 10 times , the overflow should handle that pump.
Check for any Obstructions
In the pipe of the overflow I once had a snail,
Remove the filter ( if any ) in the overflow

Actually for that tank
With a turnover 6 to 10 times , the overflow should handle that pump.
Check for any Obstructions
In the pipe of the overflow I once had a snail,
Remove the filter ( if any ) in the overflow
all the pipes are brand new. The pipe in the overflow should be fine, even at full blast from the pump the water level inside the overflow chamber never went above the intake pipe. in the overflow i only have 1 1" intake pipe and 2 x 3/4" return pipe. there are no filter media inside the overflow.

Keep on bringing the pump down until it levels up with the sump and the return and what the turn over is if ure at 5 or so then u'll be ok, keep in mind u want some sump time

Keep on bringing the pump down until it levels up with the sump and the return and what the turn over is if ure at 5 or so then u'll be ok, keep in mind u want some sump time
I'm able to get the water level in my sump to say constant and the system running close to silent by adjusting it with a gate and ball valve. I just want to know if there is a way for me to increase the flow rate of the overflow so i could make full use of the power with my pump.

If u go with a wider pipe or 2 if possible then yes it would drain it faster.
But ure turn over is pretty good already i personally don't like to run my pumps at their max ,
(My preference)

If u go with a wider pipe or 2 if possible then yes it would drain it faster.
But ure turn over is pretty good already i personally don't like to run my pumps at their max ,
(My preference)
i think the drain right now is fast enough because when i had the pump at full blast the water level inside the overflow never went about the drain pipe. if it was not draining fast enough the water level would have covered the drain pipe. i think the problem is with the water not entering the over flow chamber fast enough. Are there other ways to increase the flow rate in other than breaking off some of the teeths on the weir?

Pics from above the weir may help. From what I've gathered, you have a 1" drain and two 3/4" returns. What's the plumbing look like under the stand coming out of the weir.

If that’s a durso standpipe it won’t handle it. Look into herbie or bean animal style overflows

Pics from above the weir may help. From what I've gathered, you have a 1" drain and two 3/4" returns. What's the plumbing look like under the stand coming out of the weir.
Here is an overhead view of the overflow and one pic of the plumbing coming out of the weir

Attachments

• E9811FAC-EB97-4C51-AFAC-417F331C650F.jpeg
    E9811FAC-EB97-4C51-AFAC-417F331C650F.jpeg
    127.5 KB · Views: 84
  • 72D8BED7-8D70-4063-8088-D4755407B435.jpeg
    72D8BED7-8D70-4063-8088-D4755407B435.jpeg
    105.2 KB · Views: 88
What is the overflow box rated for? usually 10" to 12" overflow box can handle 900 to 1200 gph depending on the size of the teeth. based on the picture, if the water level inside the overflow box is not rising, then the plumbing is handling it. your bottleneck might be the overflow box itself.

What is the overflow box rated for? usually 10" to 12" overflow box can handle 900 to 1200 gph depending on the size of the teeth. based on the picture, if the water level inside the overflow box is not rising, then the plumbing is handling it. your bottleneck might be the overflow box itself.
I bought that tank used. I have no idea what the overflow box is rated for. It’s a tenecor 4’x4’x24” 240 gallon tank that was made before they went out business back then. The outer dimension of the overflow box is 10”x6” but the size of the teeth looks very big. Even at full speed the water level inside the overflow doesn’t rise as well but the water level outside of the overflow in the tank rises to the top of the tank.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back