Overflow Question

Spooky

Non-member
I've got a basic overflow question I hope I can get some help with. Can I use a tank with a factory installed overflow and keep the water level at about 50% while still being able to use the overflow? I'm thinking I can but looking for some reassurance. Also, I understand this isn't common for overflows but would suit my particular needs. My youngest daughter's common snapping turtle is going to need a bigger tank soon and my hope is to use a 75 or 90 gallon tank with an overflow to house him. I could build up some rocks on one side of the tank but I would rather keep the water level lower and use a sump to house all the filtration and heating elements thereby giving him more room to roam. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Spooky

By basic overflow, do you mean like a reef ready tank? If so, cut the drain pipes down to where you want desired water level and also make a new weir in the overflow. I believe this will work, nut it would be nice if someone else with more experience would chime in as well.

what they said...I think you want the added weir because it will be noisy falling down to half the design level. Ive never done it, but it should work

Thanks to everyone for the quick and thankfully in agreement response. Was thinking I could cut or adjust the pipes and cut new weirs to accomadate a lower surface skim height but wanted to get some more opinions on the matter. Also, know it's advice for a fresh water animal but trust the advice here. Thanks again and I'll put up a pic of the turtle in question tomorrow.

Hand in pic for size reference.

Attachments

• 20181227_131824.jpg
    20181227_131824.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 167
  • 20181227_131905.jpg
    20181227_131905.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 176
My friend got Kevlar gloves to handle his snapper. They're not domesticated, that's for sure.

He surely isn't domesticated in the slightest. Kept a lot of reptiles in my life and he's the only one who seems to have a personal vendetta against me. Guy is way more interested in my fingers than his food.

I have one living in the stream in our yard, he comes up in summer and suntan on the front lawn.
Sometimes he likes to stop the traffic on Cambridge turnpike by crawling over the highway to the bigger pond on the other side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back