overflow questions..

dad300

Non-member
going to buy a non reef ready tank most likely..
going to add a sump/possible refugium and skimmer under the tank.
hob overflow.. so dumb questions from here on out.

what will I need to make the overflow work.. I'm completely clueless.
will I need a overflow for the sump as well?
tank is going to be 75 or 90 g
sump will be as large as I can fit..

I have been using a eshops hang on back filter for my tanks for a years and almost never had a problem with them just buy (2) of the kits online they come with everything you need and instructions one kit for each side of tank ... then you plumb it from there if you only get one and you lose siphon you will have a flood ... you do not need one in sump just a strong return pump if you need help feel free to privat message me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be aware that although the hang on back overflows have come a long way there is still a potential to have a flood.
If you are setting up a new tank that isn't drilled, consider drilling it and buying an internal wier (overflow) kit such as Ghost or Glassholes, or simply build it if you are handy.

Be aware that although the hang on back overflows have come a long way there is still a potential to have a flood.
If you are setting up a new tank that isn't drilled, consider drilling it and buying an internal wier (overflow) kit such as Ghost or Glassholes, or simply build it if you are handy.

+1 I wish I drilled my 120 but I filled it now it's too late if you drill it make sure to check if it's tempered you can't drill tempered glass ever but I have never had a flood in 5 years but I use two "u" tubes in each hob overflow in case you lose siphon if you use 2 "u" tubes and 2 hob boxes you should be fine but if the tank is empty just drill it and save you headaches checking your plumbing everyday and night making sure you have flow

+1
It is quite easy to drill a tank, and then the flood risk from the overflow is eliminated.

If you can get the deep blue overflow kit and bottom drill, that would be better. You won't have all that space in the back taken up by pipe and bottom drains are quieter. Just buy a reef ready tank and save yourself all the work.

I think loosing siphon really depends on how tall the stand is and thus how steep the hose from the overflow to the sump. The longer and more vertical the overflow hose, assuming its a tall tank stand, the stronger siphon (pulling action) you will get and lesser the chance of a siphon cut-off. Also take into consideration of the height of water level above the overflow weir as well, since that is weight that will assist with the siphon on the inlet side (the pushing action) of the overflow. Adjusting the overflow deeper down in the water column requires a bigger sump in case of power outtage so water doesnt overfill your sump and cause flooding. I personally never had problem with manufactured overflow kits. My DIY overflow a few years back however, thats another story.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

You could always go off the reservation like me.. level sump, gravity fed.. It's unconventional.. works like a champ though

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

while I appreciate the input regarding buying a reef ready tank...can anyone answer the actual question.

75 and 90 are easy sizes to get RR.
if I were in New England I would agree with you.. here in Knoxville not so much. 55 is about as high as I have seen in regular pet stores for rr, and in the lfs they tend to 3 foot 91 gallon tanks not 4 foot 75/90. hence

I thought I answered the question...and you dont need an overflow in the sump...

You will need a overflow on your display tank and a return pump in your sump. The type of overflow you'll have to decide on as you can see opinions vary. After you decide then we can help some more. Hope that helps

Like I said before hey two overflows and two siphon tubes in each ....you will thank me later

what will I need to make the overflow work.. I'm completely clueless.

You'll need an overflow kit, not all brands are equal, get something like Lifereef, eShops.. Some of them you can add a aqua lifter pump to help with siphon in the event of power outage.

The best thing to do is get 2 overflow boxes in case one doesn't restart the siphon likes the other gentleman said before, floor is expensive.

You don't have to buy a RR tank but at least drill some holes, if you're not able or don't have the tools, most glass shop can do that for a fee. Overall probably cheaper than 2 hob boxes, less work, and you'll sleep better at night too. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have had the same no-name overflow box for 15 years. It went from a 55 to a 75, a house move, countless power outages, and has never broken siphon or flooded.
At this point it is pretty beaten up, but still going .

They can work well but they are a little noisy and bulky.

My new tank is drilled acrylic.

I just had a tank shipped to my door. Starfire glass and center overflow. Delivery guy helped me carry it in. Includes plumbing ( I didn't use it because I setup a herbie overflow). You can even buy full systems from them that include stand, canopy, sump, skimmer and return pump.

Here is the link - http://www.scaquariums.com/SCA-90-Gallon-Long-Starfire-Tank-p/sca-90gl.htm

I know its not answering your original question but I also agree that RR is the way to go. It' def sound advice.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back