Pacific Sailfin or Desjardini Sailfin Tang?

Aconphoto

Non-member
I bought a desjardini sailfin tang yesterday from a local fish store, sight unseen because of the coronavirus pandemic (they had curbside pickup only). The fish was double bagged and then in a black plastic bag when handed to me in the parking lot, so I was not able to get a good look at it until I got home. It looks more like a Pacific Sailfin to me. I know they are similar in appearance when young, but I believe the tail on the desjardini are not yellow. Can anyone identify this as either Pacific or Desjardini? Apologies for the crappy phone pics. the fish is in my QT tank and the outside glass was not cleaned.

Attachments

• 20200522_082344.jpg
    20200522_082344.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 366
  • 20200522_082343.jpg
    20200522_082343.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 330
I agree with you. But before I try to debate this with the store, I needed some second opinions. The price was certainly reflective of a Desjardini. Thank you!

Tang police alert.
I hope you’re not planning on a Sailfin Tang in a 108gal Redsea XL525 with dimension of 60”x22” for long.
A 1.5” juvenile Sailfin will grow out to be 6” within the first year and can grow out to 10” the following year. It’s a bioload monster.
A better tang for that size aquarium would be a purple tang or the bristletooth variety which are slow grower and stay relatively smaller.

Thanks....I was trying to Channel Sheriff Brody from Jaws. But it is funny how one can always need a bigger tank. An excuse is all I need to push me over the edge to upgrade again.

Thanks....I was trying to Channel Sheriff Brody from Jaws. But it is funny how one can always need a bigger tank. An excuse is all I need to push me over the edge to upgrade again.
You can't go wrong with a bigger tank for tangs & its definitely not a desjardini

1590164873573.png
desjardini
1590164889417.png
pacific

As others have said, not desjardini. I have one and I must say I'm a little disappointed. It's a beautiful fish, but one reason I purchased was to help control bubble algae, and it falls down on the job there. I used to have a Sohal tang that was awesome for bubble algae. Would eat it right off of rocks I held in my hand until there was nothing left.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back