Packing your own Resin

GobyWanKenobie

BRS Member
How hard is it to refill a reusable resin cartridge? It's only a difference of $10 to buy it prepacked, but I'm wondering if it's worth it. It doesn't seem like a difficult thing to do.

I just watched the video from BRS. It seems easy enough so I'm doing it myself. Is there anything I need to know besides packing it as full as possible?

I made a little tamping tool using wooden peg to get as much in as possible. Have been using this method for many years with no known issues and it takes very little time to do. The money saved can then go into something more interesting to look at in the tank. Yes it is very easy to do and Bulk Reef Supply always supplies more that enough to get a great refill.

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking of a way to pack it down. Maybe I'll buy a wooden peg from the Home Depot the next time I'm there.

I just tap it on the floor add more tap on the floor insert sponge they give to put pressure on it to pack it more and screw on the bottom. I buy the 7 lb bag from BRS super easy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I did it once, pack it in tight and if you have extra reseal it well as it is affected by air.

Does it go bad over time? I have a big unused bag of di resin but it’s light green/lightbrown now. Was wondering if it was still good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

>Does it go bad over time?<

I believe you are speaking about mixed DI resin (meaning both anion and cation resin in the same unit). DI resin if exposed to air will absorb carbon dioxide from the air and slowly lose some of it's capacity. Technically I think it actually will be absorbing the carbonic acid that forms with trace amount of water on it's surface, but the effect is the same. You need to keep the resin tightly sealed and away from exposure to air.

When I first saw this thread title I thought it might be referring to another method of saving a buck. And that is separating DI resin (you can purchase the anion and cation resin separate) and then later regenerating the resin with strong base and acid. An involved process, that I don't think anyone much does anymore, but if you want to reuse DI resin, it can be done.

I just tap it on the floor add more tap on the floor insert sponge they give to put pressure on it to pack it more and screw on the bottom. I buy the 7 lb bag from BRS super easy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
This is the only way I've known to do it as well. I started to worry I wasn't doing something right, :)

When I first saw this thread title I thought it might be referring to another method of saving a buck. And that is separating DI resin (you can purchase the anion and cation resin separate) and then later regenerating the resin with strong base and acid. An involved process, that I don't think anyone much does anymore, but if you want to reuse DI resin, it can be done.
I regenerated GFO... once. Not again! Just too messy and not worth it to my scale.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back