Paul B's thread

Those are awesome pics, is that a cav patch I see there sergeant?
How old are you in that pic with the m16? So young looking
Did you take that 30rd home with ya at least?
Again thank you for your service, hoping to get to the meeting to shake your hand and buy you a cold one

Less than a year after these pictures were taken, I started my reef tank.
I am looking forward to talking to you guys (and girls) about that. I think we will have a great time. !*)

The Supermodel I am married to for the last 44 years will not be with us. She will be visiting old friends in Boston a few miles from the meeting.
This was Bloody Mary's bar on Bora Bora.

Yes, I was a Sargent in the First Cav. I was 20 there

I am not sure what you are asking me here?

I would enjoy that cold one!

He's asking if you got to bring home the 30 round mag you made. I have the same question! I wonder if they'd count it as a "preban"? Lol. Technically it is...

I am lucky they let me come home with my teeth. When I left country I had to remove everything I was wearing and carrying, then walk naked (that was a sight) through this little corridor and on the other side they gave me new clothes. I could bring home nothing but any letters I had.

I left the jungle on a Huey then after a hundred or so miles transferred to a Ch-47, for a while then to a fixed wing aircraft to Ton -su- nut (I can't spell that) air base where I got on a TWA jet for home. The thing that most impressed me was the TWA on the tail was painted in bright orange and I remember thinking I thought that was a neon light because I didn't see the color orange that entire year and it looked so weird. It was a 24 hour flight with no movie. But they did give you baloney sandwiches on white bread with no mustard or mayo for the three meals we got.
We landed in McGuire Air Force Base in the middle of the night and had not a nickel because in Nam you don't have any American money. I got off the plane and immediately got on my knees and kissed the American ground.

The CQs who are supposed to fill our your papers were sleeping so they expected us to wait until they got up.
We started to tear the place down so they woke up some guys to fill out our discharge papers because my two years were up and I got out of the army right there.
My wife and sister n law helped fill out the papers and I was out.
If my family didn't come to pick me up I would have had to hitch hike the 100 miles to my house with not a cent on me.

We didn't get a "Thank you for coming, nice of you to show up, have a nice day, drop dead, Nothing" .

Now I am glad that today they have parades, parties, fireworks etc.

This is a CH-47

This was a typical LZ that I lived on. (or firebase) I built and was on 14 of them

This is Firebase Illingworth from the air.

Last edited:
That is sad how poorly you were treated as a soldier returning home. I'm glad that has changed with this generation. Thank you for your service, and for sharing the pictures!!

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Thanks Marshall. Now I am treated great and have no problems. That is just how it was then.
Now I am thrilled when I see a soldier. I always go over to them and shake their hand and tell them welcome home. A couple of days ago I was at my marina and this old guy comes up to me and says "I see you were in Viet Nam".
(I had a Viet Nam hat on)
He said, I should have worn my army hat but I would have had a different war on it. I said, Oh Korea, Welcome home Brother. He said "No, older than that" I said WW2! Wow, he didn't look that old. (he was 90) Then he preceded to tell me how he was wounded in the South Pacific and rolled up his pants to show me where a bullet went through his leg. He said he didn't even know he was hit.
I love to meet guys like that. It stirs up all this Americanism in me. They are disappearing fast and in a few years, they will all be gone. The Greatest Generation. If it were not for those guys, the world would be such a different place. I try to teach that to my Daughter and Grand Kids but I don't think they get it. They never experienced war or tragedy and I hope they never do.

This duck was my best friend and the best pet I ever had. I was in a village once and this kid came along with a duck tied up by his feet and the thing was going crazy. Maybe he knew he was dinner. I told the kid to give me the bird so I didn't have to shoot him. (I am sure I really didn't say that but it sounds good) I gave the kid some C Rations and he gave me the duck.
That duck stayed with me for the rest of the time I was in Nam. He would run after me and when I stopped, he stopped next to me. If I got on a helicopter, he got on also and I had to hold his wings when we took off as he figured we were flying.
When I slept, he would put his head on my shoulder and all night long he would make a very quiet quacking noise, almost like he was snoring. But about 5 am he would wake up, put his beak in my eat and yell QUACk QUACK
Until I woke up
Very cool pet. I felt very bad leaving him behind. His name was Duk Duk

Why so many problem threads

I can't believe that there are so many problems in this rewarding
hobby. If you read through these forums you will read almost nothing
but problems and this is supposed to be a hobby. A hobby is supposed
to be fun. If you have been in this for 4 years and for 3 years and 6
months you see nothing but problems, perhaps this is not for you.
I hear stamp collecting is fun and there is absolutely no stress. I
feel bad for some members here.
Many posts go something like this:

NEED HELP FAST
Please help.
I came home yesterday and I knew something was wrong, The cleaning
lady, who I later found out is not really a cleaning lady, or even a
lady for that matter, was spralled out on the couch next to my dog, who
was dead, the dog, not the lady. OMG I quickly ran to my reef tank but
tripped over something, it was my cat, also dead.
When I finally got to the tank the lights were on, but very dim. I
realized the tank was dim because my new ORP controller that was behind
the tank, was on fire.
I quickly put out the fire and pulled the chain to put on the tank
lights. At first all seemed well but then I smelled something. I
sniffed around the tank but could not find the problem, then I noticed
the cleaning "lady" was standing behind me, with the cat.
The cleaning lady doesn't speak English, or any language that I could
tell, but in sign language she explained to me that my wife ran away
with Sam. Sam is our butcher, but my wife is a vegetarian.
Now it seemed that the only good thing was my reef tank so I got
comfortable in front of the tank and called for my other dog, "Lucky".
Lucky took a long time coming to me because lucky was born with only
one leg. And for some reason that leg always points north, no matter
which way Lucky is facing, that leg points north. As Lucky ran towards
me I heard that satisfying sound of his paw on the hardwood floor, "Ker
plunk" "Ker plunk" "Ker plunk".
He has a few other, not so serious health problems but he is a loving
pet. Lucky sat with me watching the tank. He sits with his back to
the tank because Lucky only has one eye, and it faces backward.
As me and Lucky were watching the tank, I noticed that my mandarin
seemed to be eating more pods than usual. I found this odd because
there are no pods in my tank. On closer inspection I noticed that they
were not pods, but lice. I then realized that the cleaning lady, who
has hair down to her knees which it is always wet, must have washed her
hair in the tank.
This cleaning lady came to us about 6 weeks ago, at first I thought she
was an envirnmentalist because she had three shopping carts with her,
filled to the brim with plastic bottles and cans. When I opened the
door the first thing I noticed was that she had on her right foot this
really beautiful Yves St Laurent high heel shoe. On her left foot was
a timberland boot. The Timberland boot had this sticky substance
oozing from the underside but I won't go into that right now.
I asked her if she knew anything about reef tanks, calcium reactors,
oxygenators, protein skimmers etc.
She nodded to all my questions so I invited her in. I quickly learned
she had this crick in her neck and nods constantly. As a matter of
fact, that is the only movement she can make above her waist. She
doesn't really have a waist but you get the idea.
Anyway I don't want to stray from my tank problem. As I said, the
mandarin was eating, lice, but he seemed to enjoy them. I searched for
the other tank inhabitants and noticed my two hermit crabs. One was
laying on his side, obviousely in distress. I put on my reading
glasses and took a closer look. He has varicose veins and probably a
little osteoporosis. The other crab seems fine and was sitting on a
roll of pennies. I wondered where the pennies came from until I saw a
wad of rolled up twenty dollar bills under the anemone, (who was dead)
The bills had a pink rubber band around them and I realized they were
from my dresser. The cleaning lady was probably stealing money from me
and hiding it in the tank. I was born at night, but not last night. I
put two and two together and figured that this cleaning lady might have
a problem.

Anyway, this is how many posts go on these fish forums. Can't we get
some happy posts like:
Yesterday Claudia Schiffer came to my door, she heard I have a reef
tank and just loves reef tanks, she also loves to clean and cook and
she owns a yacht.
Thats the type of posts I want to hear about.

Maybe it's because nobody posts...

I got home today....

And nothing happened. The tank was fine, the dog was fine, the cat...well who cares it's a cat, and the cleaning lady cleaned everything and left.

That's just my guess though

how about .... I got home and found my dog ate all the flake food ... a giant, almost full, container of flake food ... grr

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Most posts are like
:confused:

or, You Da Man
or I agree,
Or , Duh.

I love the posts that ask, I have a red fish, a blue fish and a yellow fish. What fish should I get next?
Or, I'm a Noob and I want to keep kissing gouramies with a mandarin. If I feed them a really expensive flake food, will they be OK or will that make algae? ::

Hello Paul, I would also like to thank you for your service. BTW I like the pictures of you in the Loach and the 105 round.

Thank you. I am also looking to meeting you guys at the meeting. (or girls as I don't know what sex you are)
I flew that LOH once or twice a week and crashed in it once. The Captain who was a friend of mine would let me take over once we were airborne. I am sure that is a NoNo but at that time there weren't many rules we had to follow. The thing is simple to fly once it is in the air. I never took off or landed it.
I also crashed in that CH-47. I don't know if it was that exact one but one like it. I don't want to post why we crashed that on line but if you are interested you can ask me when I see you.
That 105 Howitzer round we fired continuously from 6 guns at a time. That's what firebases were for.
If you are interested this is a site about firebases. I am in 4 of the pictures on the first page. I don't know the rest of those guys. http://www.77fa.org/photos177.html

But I would rather look at fish or Supermodel pictures

Last edited:
Back