Paul B's thread

I wanted to build a large rock to support my reef on but...

When I read this, I flashed on an image of your tank sitting on a large rock inside your house - which would be awfully cool :)

Yes it would. :)
I guess I could do that. I built this boulder in front of my house. It is hollow.

The new place is just about finished but it will take a few weeks to inspect it, I am guessing we will move the second week in June.

My boat just got out to the new marina today and should be in the water Monday. I will go out there (using my good left hand) and clean the thing and possibly take a ride to check out the Peconic which I only boated on once.

My Daughter sent me this old picture of when my friends and me used to fix old cars and sell them. This Simca we got for $10.00 but I forgot what we sold it for. This was about 1966.

I am the good looking one with the hair on the roof.

Last edited:
You might need to build the next boulder solid if you're putting a 125g on it.

What no 1 5/8” unistrut(kindorf) stand lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

My existing stand I built out of 3" "Kindorf". Have you priced that stuff, I think one length is like $300.00 now. I would need over $1,000.00 just in that.
You can see it behind my skimmer here. That gray looking thing is 3" Kindorf.

2 of the 1 1/2" galvanized legs rusted and I had to add another piece next to them as you can see here.

The redwood stand cost me about $45.00, maybe $50.00 with the hardware which is hot dipped galvanized. I don't need a stand to last another 40 years as I won't last that long. :eek:

I put some new rocks together today but couldn't finish the thing. It should be almost 3' long and will support my entire reef structure, or 3' of it anyway. I couldn't build the entire thing the way I wanted so i am just putting some large rocks together with stainless steel screws, epoxy and cement. I know a lot of people are afraid of stainless steel but those people are Sissy Snowflake Girly Men or maybe Ladies or little girls. :rolleyes: I love stainless steel and wish I could get all my rocks made out of the stuff.

I will have to try to finish it using only my left hand but I didn't figure out yet how I will drill the rocks with my feet or my left hand. I won't be able to use my right hand for 3 weeks but I need to get the thing done so I can soak it for a week or two before I move. I really want to get this thing done but I can't see how that will happen. Maybe i will just rubber band all the rocks together. :eek:

I am trying to get all the use out of my hand now before they operate so i am sitting near my window waving at all the people walking by.

Being I will only
Have my left hand
to type, i will only
be able to type
on the left side of the page :p

OK Surgery over. All seems well and I can use one finger on my right hand because he put in a nerve block. But he put it in one hour and 59 minutes ago and it only lasts 2 hours so i may not be able to finish. The nurses were Fantas.........

Uh UH, it is wearing off. OUCH %$#&(@##$^ OUCH Thats all Folks. o_O

Already up on that. :cool: Grand Marnier and a pain pill does the trick every time.
Hand surgery is really Sissy Girly Man surgery and I am almost embarassed that I had it. Man surgery is when they tear off your hand and send it out for repairs. :p

Almost. The Dr. told me I can't lift anything heavier than a tea cup for 3 weeks due to the stitches going across my palm. But I don't drink tea so I assume that doesn't apply to me. :cool: I tried to do some work on the rock structure I am building for the new tank and I mixed the cement with my left hand but had some trouble putting the cement on the rocks.. The rocks are heavy and to try to put them in position to be cemented is not easy with my right hand all bandaged up. I pre drilled the rocks and epoxied in stainless steel threaded rods before the surgery so I need to put cement on the parts that touch, then push the rocks together and smear more cement on. But this thing weighs about 10lbs now and I can't seem to get them to stay in position because I need to lift the entire thing and put bricks under it for support until the cement dries.
My foot doesn't quite reach up to the top of my garage workbench and I tasted the cement and it doesn't taste to good so I can't use my tongue. o_O

So far I have this. Built it out of 8 smaller rocks held together with stainless steel threaded rod, epoxy and cement. The right end I built with my left hand and knee. :rolleyes:

I drilled the holes on the ground, but it is getting heavy to pick up with my left hand. :p It still needs another foot of rock on the right and a skinny piece to hold it up. I want most of my structure off the gravel. :cool:

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back