Paul B's thread

Thank you. It was a pleasure. My fish are smiling and happy because they like the Supermodel who feeds them better than me. :.

Hey Paul,
I had to leave the meeting shortly after your presentation but I wanted to ask you if keeping manderins is do-able in a tank full of bigger and faster fish(tangs). Given that I've succeeded in building a baby brine hatchery and a feeder. I'm concern that the slow manderin will get ran over by the larger fish. These dragonets seems to be the fish that do better in a fuges or nano tank.

He had this feeder on the bottom that would cause larval shrimp to slowly migrate through mesh (pantyhose) - looked like they camped out on the mesh eating all day long.

The baby brine get caught in the pantyhose and the dragonets eat the cot pods out of it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Yes, you can keep a mandarin in such a tank. But I would hatch brine shrimp "every day" and don't get lazy. The larger fish will excrete a lot of wastes and eat a lot of food so there should also be plenty of pods. The rest of your fish can't even see pods.
There was so much more to cover in that talk but we ran out of time and I didn't even realize the raffle was going on when I was still talking. I am long winded and can talk fish forever or until the last person fell asleep. :cool:

Oooooooo.......Your the guy from Long Island with the old broken bottles in your tank I didn't put it together until the pictures. I recall reading about you many years ago but I don't recall where. Did you ever write an article on collecting NSW in NY harbor?

Jim

I just saw this. Yes, that was me about the collecting NSW but I don't collect in NY harbor any more.

Yes, you can keep a mandarin in such a tank. But I would hatch brine shrimp "every day" and don't get lazy. The larger fish will excrete a lot of wastes and eat a lot of food so there should also be plenty of pods. The rest of your fish can't even see pods.
There was so much more to cover in that talk but we ran out of time and I didn't even realize the raffle was going on when I was still talking. I am long winded and can talk fish forever or until the last person fell asleep. :cool:

Paul there was no sleeping at this meeting. The discussion I could have listed to for 2 more hours. Lots of fascinating theories and some good laughs mixed in between. Hope you can attend to,speak again in the future

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

That's good, I don't like to put people to sleep. I wanted to cover more of immunity, food, and Supermodels but the Pizza came and that was the end of that. I love Pizza almost as much as fish. (which of course I had for dinner)
We are going out on our boat today but I doubt I will be collecting. I got a new dinghy but I won't be launching it this year as the season is just about over. If I get very ambitious, (doubtful) I will swim to shore to do some amphipod collecting.
I realize many people with sterile tanks cringe at that but on another forum I was just reading about these two people complaining that they quarantined for 32 days and their fish still have ich. Then one of them said they feed a very healthy diet of "expensive" flake food, pellets, and nori. If you ate that every day, I guarantee you would get ich.
That topic is very important to me and I could spend hours talking about it because it is so simple and so important. "If" you feel you need to quarantine, then at least feed your fish something that will give them some type of an immune system to fight off a parasite as simple and stupid as ich. Ich has been around since trilobites, I know because they were my first invert. The hobby has been with us for 45 years and there is still the same amount of ich problems and it is silly. Ich should be like pay phones, an odd curiosity.
In a few years I will have croaked and I hope by then "most" of us realize there is no reason our fish should be bothered by silly things like that. :cool:

As I said, There was a lot of material we didn't have time to cover. I just remembered this U Tube from a year ago where Ed interviewed me about feeding, immunity etc. so if you are interested, it is probably half an hour long. It has a lot of information that you may be interested in or feel you need to argue with me about. :confused: Disregard the Supermodels at the beginning and if I am not allowed to post this please delete it and like many other forums, send me a nasty letter and give me some demerits. :cool:
You will be happy to know that most of it is only half of my bald head so you may not need sun glasses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMEsV-_BXnk

Last edited:
That's good, I don't like to put people to sleep.

Definitely not a snoozer. Great info and insights.

I went out yesterday and bought some blackworms. I figure I'll still keep quarantining new fish until I see spawning in my display tank though. I'll take that as evidence that the fish in my display tank are healthy enough to fight off minor parasite introductions from a new fish.

Did you see the "beginning" of the U Tube video I posted above? Apparently you did not. :D

I think if you click on it it starts near the end, so go to the beginning. Don't make me get up.

hey, "this is me" guys boss, i am sitting here looking at fish geek stuff when i am supposed to be working

In a few weeks I am going to have some surgery to repair a torn rotator cuff and torn bicep. This is the fourth time I tore this rotator cuff on my left arm and I think I had it done twice on my right arm.
(I also had maybe 5 knee surgeries) But these are Man surgeries and not Sissy surgeries so they don't bother me. I really enjoy the sleep too. (as well as the nurses)
I worked construction all my life and if you don't wear out your parts doing that, you didn't work hard enough.
I went to the surgeon today and told him to try to fix the thing this time so it stays fixed even if I pick up a heavy pint of beer. Maybe use some good toggle bolts that you don't get from Home Depot.
The recovery is three months after a month of physical therapy, which I kind of enjoy because the place I go has a couple of Supermodels working there.
Today I winterized my boat and put up the Halloween and Thanksgiving decorations around my house. My wife used to help me but she has MS so I do it myself. I put up a lot of decorations for all of the holidays. I just like my house looking good. Next week I will also winterize my sprinkler system because after this operation I won't be able to use my left arm so I want to get all of that stuff done you need two arms for.
Years ago I devised a method to winterize my boat using a shop vacuum. I disconnect the water hoses and suck out all the salt water using the vacuum. Then I installed a small bilge pump in a five gallon bucket and pump antifreeze through the engines and exhaust manifolds. I also use this to pump water through the air conditioner and water system for the sinks and showers.
I am also changing water in my reef because I only do that every 3 or 4 months anyway.

My neighbors will also snow blow for me so it all works out well. :cool:

Sounds like you have things under control Paul, but good luck and I hope the surgery and recovery go well!

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back