Paul B's thread

Wisdom.

There is an old Testament reading (6:12-16) that explains if you are generally seeking wisdom, then open your mind and heart and wisdom will seek you out and be found sitting by your front gate.

That is a little before my time (not much). Religion and science have a lot in common. Most of us believe all scientific principles come about from thought, assumptions, experiments, study, and then fact.

Science's main method is deduction. It moves in a precise and convincing fashion from general to specific.

The process of discovering some "fact" is based on solid starting "assumptions".

Science relies on a starting assumption. Not necessarily fact. Where do the assumptions come from?

Scientists use life experiences and detailed observations to guess at starting assumptions. But they are guesses and for the most part, can't be proven.

(Ref: James Magner MD)

Many Scientist "facts" in the past are no longer facts today. The GPS in your car would not function on Newtons "facts". It needed Einstein's input about space, light, time and hair styles to correct the "facts of the past. Although Newton was close and close was good enough at that time.

The "fact" that the Earth was flat turned out to be wrong. But it was a good theory because many times when a boat ventured out to far, it never returned so they figured it fell off the "face of the earth".

In reality what could have just as easily happened is that on those boats, half the sailors were hired rowers and the other half were boat owners. They all took part in rowing. But the hired people (maybe were Liberals) were mad that they were rowing as hard as the owners, but the owners were making more money. They didn't get along so the owners started rowing on one side and the hired people were on the other side.

After a loud argument, the hired people stopped rowing to spite the owners. So the boat just kept going around in circles until the batteries went dead on their I Phone-4s and they couldn't text so they got bored to death and jumped overboard. It's just as plausible as any other theory.

Galileo surmised that the Earth was not the center of the universe. The Pope wasn’t amused by that one at all and at the time, Popes didn’t have much of a sense of humor so he ex communicated poor Galileo and took away his free pass to the Venetian public aquarium.

Scientists today try to explain their "facts" but often fall short. They fumble through trying to explain gravity and it is all around us. They teach that the Earth has a solid iron core and it forms a giant molten magnet that attracts everything.

I am in my workshop and have plenty of magnets. So far, I have yet to find a magnet that would attract one of my fish that jumped out and rolled under my tank.

Scientists speak of the vastness of the un- ending universe. My mind can't envision that much space so I just believe that at the end of the universe there is a brick wall with tar paper on top. Beyond that there are Strawberry fields forever.

That assumption makes as much sense as any scientific theory.

Many scientific discoveries came about by accident. I can think of four off the top of my bald head. X Rays, Microwaves, safety glass and smoke detectors. . Darwin also surmised that life came about by accident in a primordial pond. So far, that has not been disproven.

I of course think life was brought here by Aliens. Bowlegged bald Aliens who were just bored and wanted to go to a disco. (Remember, this was a long time ago)

There is a term used by medical “experts” whereby the cause is deduced from the effective remedy. This term is called “ex juvantibus”

“If the patient fails to respond to a specific treatment, the cause of the illness is a different one”

(ref: Water Chemistry for Advanced Aquarists “Guido Huckstedt” )

In other words if a sick patient is treated with antibiotics, and doesn’t recover, the cause will probably not be bacterial.

What is the point of this discussion? The point is not everything we do in life, or reef aquariums will have a basis in scientific research. Much of it, like scientific research is guesswork, conjecture and yes, luck.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Lets not forget at this time of the year all the kids, including babies who are in the hospital fighting for their life and I pray they make it to enjoy many more Christmases in their future :)

Merry Christmas Paul B! Hope you and the family are well.

This week my tank turned 51 years old. :D I am a little older.

FTS Hippo Copperband.JPG

So I was all set to go to the hospital last week for my 2:30 surgery appointment. They called me the night before to tell me,now it is 6:00am. :rolleyes:

6"00 am is better but a little warning would have been nice. It's a good thing my friend/nurse is sleeping here to help my wife for a couple of days. She will do things like feed my fish, throw in some calcium, read to them, clean the glass etc. (she won't touch the worms) :sick:

I is almost 4:30 and I am ready to go being I don't live next door to the hospital.

I am ready to go now and it is 4:30am. :p

I had eye muscle surgery many years ago and they had me naked on this stainless steel gourney in the operating room. ( I am sure I put this on here already, if I did, go and watch Oprah) I am sure they just took it out of the freezer or used it to hold all the Bud Lights just before the Superbowl game. The nurse took my arm and stuck an IV in me full of I think an orange slushy that was just in the same freezer as the gourney.

The first thing I said was "you are sure you are operating on the right end of my body aren't you, being naked and all"?

Remember, it's my eyes!

I was shivering so much I almost vibrated off the table. There were 7 female "Nurses, Doctors assistants, anesthesiologists, ice cream vendors all around me with masks on. I am pretty sure I also saw Dorothy Hamill there practicing for the olympics.

One saw me shaking and figured I was afraid of the operation. She held my hand, came close to my ear, smiled and said:
"Don't be afraid Honey, you will be fine"

I said "I am not afraid, I am freezing, and how could I be afraid while being surrounded by seven beautiful Ladies"

They were all hysterical laughing. :D

None of them said, That wasn't PC but I was a little afraid I would wake up cross eyed. ;Wacky

i was in there for 6 hours but the surgery was probably much shorter, maybe an hour and 15 minutes.
(it takes 15 minutes to get to home depot from the hospital and i don't know if the dr. had to go there for something)

the nurses are really nice there and i had 5 or 6 of them doing different things. one was really interested in me and googled my name there. she may buy my book. :D

when they brought me into the operating room the two anesthesiologists were there. both young men but one of them didn't exude confidence. did you ever see "alien vs predator" ?

the alien looks like a praying mantis and sweats blood while the predator has dread locks, green scales and shoots laser beams from his rotator cuff. he looked somewhat like the two of them.

i noticed a young girl there dressed like a surgeon. i figured it was "take your granddaughter to work day". i also noticed girl scout cookies on the jungle gym. :oops:

they assured me she was a surgeon and showed me a photo of her desk with one of those little statues made out of nuts and bolts shaped like a surgeon. i knew it was real because it had a little stethoscope and a plack that read "worlds best surgeon".

i asked the anesthesiologist if he could keep me knocked out for 6 weeks until the brace comes off but he just said "good night"

now i have this hard brace on and it keeps my arm facing straight out from my body so when i walk down the street, people either shake hands with me, give me spare change or say, "who you pointing at! ". :oops:

The surgeon called and said the surgery went better than he expected. After all the surgeries on that shoulder he didn't think there would be any place to anchor the thing and he figured it was shredded. He said my shoulder bones are very big and beefy, probably because I worked commercial and industrial electrician for almost 50 years and everything was heavy so my shoulder bones got big. Not so much my tendons and rotator cuff so it ripped off.

There was also a lot of shredded pieces of muscle and bone he had to clean out which was causing pain.

He used a new kind of composite anchor that should last the rest of my life as the last ones only lasted about 8 years.
I said to him, it isn't that painful, are you sure you used an anchor and not duct tape? He laughed. :D
My good buddy is here taking care of me. She just put this ice pack machine on me.

After 60 years she started going to a gym. She went about two weeks and is bulking up and is very proud.

Don't get excited, my wife took the picture and she is our best friend. Her husband and my best friend died of Covid last year. I know her over fifty years.
Me and sue ice machine (1).jpg

You are very good at typing with one hand. A skill that will be beneficial for years to come.

HBD tank! Reverse undergravel forever!!

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back