Paul B's thread

I figured out how to move my tank. We bought a new Condo about 60 miles from where I live now that is still being built and I was concerned that I may have to move out of my house before I close on the new place because it may not be built exactly by the day I have to move. If that happens we can move in with one of our friends but I can't take my fish and they frown on staying in the car in January.
I just made a deal with my friend who owns a LFS to rent a 55 gallon tank in his store where I can house my fish. (Not connected to his other tanks and no medications)I can put my corals in one of his coral tanks as there is enough light there.
I will also be able to fit probably half my rocks and gravel. The rest of my rock and gravel I will just try to keep wet until I move. I will go there every day to feed them because my fish are not used to normal LFS food and need gourmet worms and new born brine shrimp. If all goes well I won't lose anything. I am not worried about the corals as I can always buy new ones but it took me years to amass the types of fish I keep because I don't keep the more common types. This is one concern off my mind.

That's great! I am glad to hear he was able to help you out and keep your precious well cared for love stock for you if time runs out! Congratulations finding a solution!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, It will be a pain to move them twice but I doubt I will have time to move everything in my house including the tank on the same day.
My plan is to buy a new tank, build a stand, set it up there with NSW. Heat it then bring all my stuff out in maybe two days

Yesterday I was invited with my Daughter to tour this project they are trying to build under New York City right where the Williamsburg Bridge reaches Manhattan. I have been driving over that bridge all my life and never realized the ground under there is hollow. The space was built in 1903 as a turning around spot for the trolleys that went over the bridge. Now a subway line runs right past it but the trolley tracks are still there and the space which is about as large as a football field has not been used since 1948 so it is a little dusty. They are trying to put in a park sort of thing where trees and produce will be grown. Sunlight will be "piped" in from above using some type of new technology from Japan. There will be large sunlight collectors on the sidewalks above. A smaller prototype was built a few years ago and is growing produce. This will be a much larger experiment and if all goes well, it will serve as a model for many more places as New York City has many un-used subway tunnels as do other cities. Those areas are normally filthy, asbestos and steel dust ridden very dark rat infested locations so it will be a challenge.
The train tracks and trains that run right next to it will be partitioned off with glass so you can see (and hear) the trains go by.
The area may also be available to rent for parties. It will be very New Yorkish.

The photographer came to my house today to take pictures for the real estate sale. She took more pictures of my tank than the rest of the house even though the tank is not for sale.
Actually, I am leaving the tank and just taking everything in it to my new home. Very soon I should start building my new stand and hopefully I will build a rock structure that will hold my existing rocks off of my gravel. That is still in the designing stages.
I may build the new stand out of cedar because it doesn't rot or warp but it is less than half as strong as most woods so I will have to double it up to give me the strength I need.
I am sure I will lose a bunch of corals during the move, especially the montipora's because I will have to break all of them off the rocks to move them. If they make it, I will glue them to the newly positioned structure.
I still have to buy the new 125 gallon tank and under gravel filter.

Have you priced out cedar recently?!?! Good gosh that stuff is expensive. Used it for my wedding chupah, it's really soft and I wouldn't trust it structurally. Maybe true 2x stock. That will cost more than the house though. .
b4b4dff70964db402eb7e2f3f80a59af.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Abrooks I priced 8' 2X6" and they are $32.00 each. I only need 4 of them, but I know it's a soft, weak wood and not very good for anything structural so I will use building techniques that will give me the needed strength. I could even tripple it up. I don't like pine or pressure treated wood because it can warp terribly. My galvanized steel stand that I built here is to rusty to take and I can't get those steel pieces any more but the 3" "Kindorf" I built that stand out of was (40 years ago) $62.00 each 8' piece. Way to much for now.

Mahagony or African iron wood? Not sure if you can find them in 2x stock? That's a great price for cedar, I was into the 2x4@ 5$/ft.

Now I am thinking redwood. It is stronger than cedar and also doesn't warp. :D
Good luck! I tried for that, maybe a specialty lumber supplier if there's one in your area?? Mahagony is very strong and rot resistant, may be to dark for your taste though.

This tank will be built into a wall like my present tank so I won't see the stand. I can get redwood here. :D

White Oak......if your concerned about rot, available and you don't need much though pricey its been a main stay of wood boats for years.

Jim

I am pretty sure white oak warps. I am more concerned about warping than rotting. :p

Oak... Red or White is a very stable wood, is their a reason you are not considering pressure treated Fir? Some people are really into the possible health effects of pressure treated stock but it's all around you.

Jim

Pressure treated wood warps the most. I have a lot of it around my home and unless you secure it very well, you can make bow and arrows out of it. I have some pieces on my deck where the screws near the end came out and I can make some nice sled runners out of it. The 6' pieces under my tank I want to stay straight because I don't want to have to support it in the middle. :eek:

My tank is really ignored now that I am selling my house. I have been throwing things out like crazy and drawing prints for my new condo to change things around as they are building it. It's about 60 miles away so it takes a little time to get out there. I can't possibly fit all my existing stuff there so much of it goes in the garbage. I have so many sets of tools because I was a mechanic and still do all the work on my cars and boat and I was a plumber and electrician so I have tools for everything. Carpentry is one of my hobbies and carpentry tools are big and heavy and I am taking all of that. But I don't need 4 ratchet sets or 40 screwdrivers so I am donating most of it to my neighbors and friends. I already gave away all of my SCUBA stuff and a lot of my fish stuff including an Eheim filter. My garbage cans weigh a ton so I gave the sanitation guys a big tip because I feel sorry for them.
It's open house this Saturday so I may sell my home then. That would be nice but I can't move out until the other place is built. My fish are mad at me because they get fed at all different times if they get fed at all.
I try not to look them in the eye. I am sure I will lose some fish and maybe all my corals during this move but I hope not.

P.t. warps in the the weather for sure. In a climate controlled environment it's stable like the Kardashian tribe on the right dosage. Sounds like we're onto the move! I'm a carpenter. If you have some choice old-school specialty power tools? Pm me. Anything heavy and shiny;)

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back