Paul's new build.

I've narrowed down my options for a sump to 4 choices. In doing this it occurred to me, as an old time reefer, that in some ways reefing was easier, less stressfull and less expensive in the past. There was so much DIY and options were few. My past sumps were stock tanks and pond forms. Each under $100. Now there are so many choices and you can spend many thousands. The stress comes from trying to avoid making a costly mistake and enduring buyers regret. "Oh this sucks I should have bought the other one I'm an idiot".
Anyway this is what I've come up with.
1. This sump from Fish Tanks Direct. Its simple, the right size, and no bells and whistles.
https://www.fishtanksdirect.com/tsunami-rs7224-aquarium-sump.aspx

2. I could get the sump above, and add on to it either the Seavisions CADs filter, or a Royal Exclusive stand alone fleece filter. This would eliminate the filter socks/filter cups which I would really like to do. The big drawback to this scenario is the cost of the replacement fleece rolls. I think the RE ones are $60 apiece. Its possible they would need replacement every 4 to 6 weeks. I don't know if I want that expense.

3. A Royal Exclusive dream box. Beautiful, efficient, and expensive to both buy and again, replace the fleece filter rolls.

4 . A MRC sump. They have a new one coming out in the next few months with a large fleece filter. Same concerns as with the RE sump.

What's making this difficult is that I have no experience with fleece filters. I have no idea how often I would need to replace the rolls and so no idea what my yearly costs would be.
So far I'm leaning towards the first option, where if I want to I could always add on a fleece filter or if I get one and don't like it, I can use the socks or floss. I have the estimate from MRC and am waiting on RE. I'm glad the tank isn't coming till spring so I have time to torture myself further in deciding what to do.

Paul have you checked out the new Trigger platinum sumps? They have a 39 inch version (thought maybe one that was closer to 44 inches but can't find it on Bulk Reef Supply) Hovers around $1k but has a built in fleece roller and tons of other great options. I personally like the adjustable center baffle so you can make it just as wide as you skimmer needs plus a lot of other bells and whistles... Not sure if that would be too small for your setup just been hearing a lot of good things about these new sumps...

Paul have you checked out the new Trigger platinum sumps? They have a 39 inch version (thought maybe one that was closer to 44 inches but can't find it on Bulk Reef Supply) Hovers around $1k but has a built in fleece roller and tons of other great options. I personally like the adjustable center baffle so you can make it just as wide as you skimmer needs plus a lot of other bells and whistles... Not sure if that would be too small for your setup just been hearing a lot of good things about these new sumps...

I've looked at them but they're too small. Besides the 420gal display, I have a 60 gal frag tank thats going to be plumbed into the new sump too.

I’ve read somewhere of people buying aftermarket fleece that came out to about half the cost and you could get it in bulk.
I’ve used Pinkyfilters before. The downside to pinkyfilters is that the fine side clogs fast and stops flow. The pinkyfilters have to be changed every day or a smaller piece has to be used to let some water bypass the filter.

I would go with no mechanical filter at all unless I could reuse the material, and if you really want low maintenance, just don’t use it, go to natural means with heavy skimming plus water changes. I have been keeping Reef aquariums since the late 90’s and I am very skeptical of these roll filters. I have done systems with no mechanical and ones that have it. Really, the difference between them seems negligible in the long term. I get intrigued by new ideas and entertain them until I understand what they are doing. This gadget does not pass my common sense test, that being said, I am sure with a watchful eye they can function properly.

Whatever worked for you before has been shown in the display. Literally jaw dropping.

WWC has systems that I would try to emulate, but they also have a full time staff.
I like this response, I did have something similar in mine but could not find the words to express it so I edited it out. My words were along the lines of... you know better than most of us Paul. I guess I was trying to help you stay with what seems to be your intent for this build... you seem to want to simplify maintenance rather than complicate it from what I read of your posts so far. The roller filters seem too complicated to me,

Last edited:
I would go with no mechanical filter at all unless I could reuse the material, and if you really want low maintenance, just don’t use it, go to natural means with heavy skimming plus water changes. I have been keeping Reef aquariums since the late 90’s and I am very skeptical of these roll filters. I have done systems with no mechanical and ones that have it. Really, the difference between them seems negligible in the long term. I get intrigued by new ideas and entertain them until I understand what they are doing. This gadget does not pass my common sense test, that being said, I am sure with a watchful eye they can function properly.
I've gone with no mechanical filtration before too. I didn't notice any difference with water clarity but the sump gets clogged with detritus. Sand gets pretty dirty too.

... you seem to want to simplify maintenance rather than complicate it from what I read of your posts so far.

I agree with your assessment and I'm taking the same approach for my hopeful new tank and I'm struggling with the fleece roller or not... I want easy all the way lol

I've gone with no mechanical filtration before too. I didn't notice any difference with water clarity but the sump gets clogged with detritus. Sand gets pretty dirty too.
Same here, I vacuumed the sump and sand in those tanks more often to combat it. I am using socks now and am contemplating ditching them for this routine instead.

I guess it's time to get started on this. I'll begin with the basic info on the new tank, the timeline and then talk about what I've done so far.
The new tank is being manufactured by Reef Savy. It's dimensions are 96x36x28
Thanks for doing a build thread! Given how spectacular your old tank was, I'll be following this thread closely.

So many questions - hope you don't mind :)

How do the dimensions of the new tank compare to the old tank? Will the new tank go in the same place? Will the new stand be the same height?

What were the main things driving you to replace the old tank?

Thanks for doing a build thread! Given how spectacular your old tank was, I'll be following this thread closely.

So many questions - hope you don't mind :)

How do the dimensions of the new tank compare to the old tank? Will the new tank go in the same place? Will the new stand be the same height?

What were the main things driving you to replace the old tank?

The new tank is just shy of the volume of the old, 417 gal. The old was 427. It will seem a lot larger though because it will not have those two large internal overflows. It will be 96x36x28, so its a foot longer but 6 inches less width. Height is the same.
It will not be in the center of the room but will be up against the windows on the left. The stand will be shorter, 26 inches. I didn't want to be on a stool anymore to reach inside.
There were a lot of reasons for the change. First glass will be easier to clean and maintain. There will only be 3 sides instead of four to keep clean. Flow will be a lot better without internal overflows blocking it all the time. The room will look better and larger with the tank off to one side. Lastly, I will have fun doing a new build.

Tile replaced and grout work finished. Stand assembled. I didn't know how I was going to like the metal stand, and I figured I could always skin it with wood or tile if I had to. I really love it just the way it is. Matches the tile color perfectly.
Some big challenges up next. The holding tanks downstairs have to be moved to make way for support beams. Then they have to be tied into the new sump, which I haven't configured yet. Don't know how I'm going to juggle all the coral and fish to do this.
20201206_131430.jpg
20201206_131905.jpg

Bingo

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back