Peristaltic pump and ca reactor

cilyjr

Chris
For those feeding their calcium reactor with a peristaltic pump, are you pushing or pulling through the reactor?

I pull through the reactor so the chamber does not over pressure and cause leaks

How would this "over pressure" the reactor? Being that if one were to push, the effluent line would be open and would run free. Are you worried about potential clogs?

Pulling seems to be the more popular method on the "big" boards

Either way is fine, try pulling first and if it runs fine then stick with it. Im pulling. My intake line in sump has a quick connect to maxijet that i have to use whenever i change media or otherwise open the reactor. My reactor lids will leak if i run masterflex rpm much more than 350ml/min plus maxijet for any length of time. Once purged i pull out the the maxijet and dial back masterflex to my stable dose rate. Lid leaks are inevitable for me when i make reactor changes. Having Dual 9" canisters cuts back on the frequency of media changes for sure but always touchy-feely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I teed off of the supply to my Frag tank. I suppose you could do the same to your display. It feeds my ca rx just fine. Just make sure to add a check valve that's push connect so you can replace it easy if it fails. I also use a push connect gate valve I got from Brs to control drip rate. Hope that helps you chris

With a peristaltic pump you would not want the intake (whether before or after the reactor) to be under pressure. Meaning do not have a second pump pushing water at the peristaltic pump. And there is no valve at all as the pump controls the flow.

That's what I'm saying. No need for that pump if you tee off of your return pump and just use a gate valve to control drip rate. Cuts the power bill down a bit

Gate valves are the WORST. I'd use a pinch valve. The 1st step in getting a ca reactor to run well in a traditional manner is ditch the gate valve and replace with a silicone line and pinch valve.

Gates open a hole in the center of the mechanism which requires water to move through what looks like a tiny bubble trap in say a sump. The pinch valve will more debris to pass through. If your valve is at the effluent side is usually grit from the decomposing aragonite in the reactor.

The years when I used a gate valve I had to make daily adjustments. Pinch valve maybe monthly. Peri pump never.

My reactor leech off the return, no extra pump to worry.

I use needle valve to control the effluent, I also use the little filter designed for the aqua lifter pump before the needle valve to prevent clogging. You'll be surprise how much particles going thru the effluent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Where does your effluent drip to?

My reactor leech off the return, no extra pump to worry.

I use needle valve to control the effluent, I also use the little filter designed for the aqua lifter pump before the needle valve to prevent clogging. You'll be surprise how much particles going thru the effluent.

And where is your return? I assume it's the sump. If so, there's somewhat of a close loop between the input of your reactor and the output of the reactor. Some of the effluent probably never reach the display making the reactor less efficient.

Last edited:
And where is your return? I assume it's the sump. If so, there's somewhat of a close loop between the input of your reactor and the output of the reactor. Some of the effluent probably never reach the display making the reactor less efficient.

Correct. Some will get back to reactor, for me the rate is too low to worry about running the effluent to the dt.

Gate valves are the WORST. I'd use a pinch valve. The 1st step in getting a ca reactor to run well in a traditional manner is ditch the gate valve and replace with a silicone line and pinch valve.

Gates open a hole in the center of the mechanism which requires water to move through what looks like a tiny bubble trap in say a sump. The pinch valve will more debris to pass through. If your valve is at the effluent side is usually grit from the decomposing aragonite in the reactor.

The years when I used a gate valve I had to make daily adjustments. Pinch valve maybe monthly. Peri pump never.
I have been using the one I got from Brs and it holds steady just fine. I have been having to adjust maybe once a month. Where is there a peri pump that can run none stop and last? Honestly curious because it has me thinking

For the original question, pulling is better as it is more accurate this way. But both way works.
As for calcium reactor output, I found it does not really matter where it goes possibly due to high water turnover rate in sump or in display and calcium reactor is adding tiny amounts 24/7.

Dosing pump can be another story.

Just a side note, I have my calcium reactor out put drips into a small refugium. Hopefully the Marco algae in there can take up excess carbon dioxide. It looks like it does as the algae growth in that small chamber is insane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back