Peristaltic Pump for dosing kalk?

stingythingy45

BRS Member
Anybody do this? Or are they too sensitive or clog easily? My plan was to use a BRS dosing pump to top off with a light mix of kalk at night. I would use a top off switch hooked into a timer. Or just use the top off switch and top it off with kalk nightly.
Very familiar with kalkwasser. Not so much with peristaltic pumps. Thanks.

I dose 5.6L/day via 2 peristaltic pumps (each making 24 ~110mL doses/day). Clogging has not been an issue. The only failures I have had in years were on a former doser head failure and with the tubing wearing out in the pump head.

Can you dose without stirring?
Did for years. Used to mix it in a 20 gallon Brute trash can and top off to a basement sump with a maxi jet 1200. Had the MJ 1200 suspended 4 inches from the bottom. One good hard stirring and let the rest precipitate to the bottom. Occasionally I would stir it up with pc pipe and add more RO water. Red neck... I know. But all my SPS and all the other corals thrived in that system.

Yes. I used to mix up Kalk in a DIY glass dosing container. Dose until near empty and then dump and refill with the same concentration.
Thanks. I might try that. Dosing DIY two part right now, but it’s not a lot and it might just be easier.

Mine is similar chad. I have a 30 gallon Tupperware which every ~3 weeks I refill with RODI and add pickling lime to full saturation. Then 2 peristaltic dosing pumps pull from there into the sump. Like stingy said, I just make sure the pull lines are a few inches off the bottom.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back