PH Meter Question ... do they work in freshwater?

JBendel

BRS Member
This may belong in the Lounge

Anyone know if the Pinpoint American PH Monitor's work in fresh water?

The wife was going to borrow mine for a science experiment with some 4th graders and when I dipped the probe in some distilled water ... it registered 9.0 .... swirl the probe around and the PH drops, but all reading are very unstable .... I recalibrated it ... no real difference, but when it's back in the tank ... it's stable and reading as expected.

I lost the meter directions long ago, but I suspect the probe only works in salt water... anyone know for sure?

I think they work in either, but very pure water doesn't have any buffering capacity, so measuring the pH of RODI or distilled water is meaningless. Try putting a sprinkle of baking soda in the water, and then measure the pH. It should be more consistant. Or measure your tap water.

Agreed..... pH is pH. It doesnt matter what you use the probe in. For example, in HS, did you use different litmas (sp) papers for each type of liquid??

My dad actually had a pool test kit that he use to use back in the day. It would test pH, Clorine (sp) (He used Tap water), and Alk.

Thanks all for the help.... used the baking soda, but ended up using a Tetra Test kit, since the color difference gave better contrast than an absolute number off a meter.

For what it is worth .. kids were blowing bubbles in water glasses before and after exercising and using PH as an indicator to how much CO2 they were exhaling.

Back