Ph

Piscevore

elsewhere
My ph seems a little low, staying between 8.0-8.1. I need to get a PH meter asap, but I don't have one as of right now to be more accurate, all I have is the liquid tests (garbage). My Alk is appx 9, and Calcium is about 430. Appx because it was tested yesterday. I am using B-ionic.

I've trolled the Reec Central chemistry boards, and it seems like a little lime water would bring the ph up to the 8.4 area where I'd like.

It seems like something is wrong with a) my water b) my salt c) my test for PH if a mixed, aerated bucket of salt water, sg 1.026, has a ph of 8. Shouldn't it be higher?
Do other people have this low ph issue right off the bat? I don't currently dose kalk or have Calcium reactor.... I'm hoping my test is just plain wrong :) Old reagent or something ...

You should not worry about pH 8.0-8.1 That is fine. Everything in your tank will live perfectly fine between 7.90 and 8.4 (as far as I know). And most tanks fluctuate within that range on a daily basis because of photosynthesis and the light cycle. For instance, my tank is 8.05 every morning and 8.35 every evening (by pH meter).

You don't want to target 8.4 because if it fluctuates from there to 8.5, your inhabitants will become a bit stressed out about it.

I think the biggest thing is just getting a PH meter :) It'll give me a better picture of where things are at I think.... Thanks for the info jacko

8 really isn't low as jacko said. For reference, check out the tank of the month on RC which is Gumheads, and read where his PH stays.

Mines at 8.01 right now, may dip to 7.8 or so overnight, high of 8.2 (sometimes higher), with lights on

Piscevore said:
Its actually no big deal -- nothing appears to suffer the worse from it. On my new setup, I want to add a second chamber to my calcium reactor, which hopefully will bring the pH up a bit. Many other reefers with calcium reactors experience the same range of pH,

Matt:cool:

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back