Phytoplankton/ dosing pump

reefer125g

Non-member
Has anyone used a dosing pump to dose phytoplankton. Was thinking of setting up a live phytoplankton tank and using a dosing pump to feed the tank every night. Only question is will the pump lines filled with phytoplankton go bad ?

They might but that’s where the ghl doser 2.1 sticks out. You can have it feed then reverse the direction and empty out back into the container.

Has anyone used a dosing pump to dose phytoplankton. Was thinking of setting up a live phytoplankton tank and using a dosing pump to feed the tank every night. Only question is will the pump lines filled with phytoplankton go bad ?

You can’t just pump out of a live phyto culture tank because of the F/2 fertilizer. You could have it refrigerated in a bottle and pump out of that but yes it would go bad if left in the lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never knew that
Add will make the motor run clockwise, remove will run the motor counter clockwise.
17b364b3a41045e99ee7c994b42a844d.png

You can’t just pump out of a live phyto culture tank because of the F/2 fertilizer. You could have it refrigerated in a bottle and pump out of that but yes it would go bad if left in the lines.

I was wondering how you get the fertilizer out of the culture? Don't the phytoplankton consume it?

I was wondering how you get the fertilizer out of the culture? Don't the phytoplankton consume it?

Yes, if the correct amount of fertilizer is used most of the fertilizer will be consumed by the phytoplankton before harvesting from the culture. It is a cycle so you just can’t pull phytoplankton out of a culture on a daily basis.

So this is really not a viable. Could not get a big bottle of phytoplankton add a air stone and light just to keep it alive. Better off just hand dosing.?

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back