Planning tang stocking

1spotpooalot

Non-member
Has anyone kept multiple tangs in a larger tank? I want to try 4 or 5 in my 265. preferences are 1 scopas (who is my lone tang now in my 93), Naso,, Achilles, Lieutenant, Sailfin. It will be a while before they are added but looking for success or horror stories.

I would check with Dong. He has a bunch of tangs in his tanks.

When I tried multiple tangs at school the best word of advice I can give is add them all at the same time. It mixes up territories and doesn’t let establishes tangs best up on the single new guy.

I tried to introduce a Kole Eye to my tank with a mimic tang and the Kole Eye beat up and killed the mimic and then died shortly after. I was pissed because the mimic was my favorite fish in the tank.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My understanding is Achilles would be last and if you avoid from the same family should be fine

I would check with Dong. He has a bunch of tangs in his tanks.

When I tried multiple tangs at school the best word of advice I can give is add them all at the same time. It mixes up territories and doesn’t let establishes tangs best up on the single new guy.

I tried to introduce a Kole Eye to my tank with a mimic tang and the Kole Eye beat up and killed the mimic and then died shortly after. I was pissed because the mimic was my favorite fish in the tank.

Good luck!

This happened to me too. I have scope for about 5 years now. I tried a naso that was bigger..in my 93, and the scope killed it....dont want to do that again.but you are right...all at once will be better odds

6E71658D-B8AD-421E-A2BE-FE2F31D076D2.jpeg

Attachments

• 3EA69F6A-ECC4-4C64-A421-47AFF22A914E.jpeg
    3EA69F6A-ECC4-4C64-A421-47AFF22A914E.jpeg
    275.6 KB · Views: 161
I have a 365 gallon tank and have a yellow tang, naso tang, clown tang, sailfin tang, hippo tang and vlmingi tang. They were all added at different times with no issues. The only issue is my clown tang can be nasty but he is nasty to all fish so go figure. Achilles tang are up there on agressiveness so I would maybe avoid that fish if possible. All of my Tangs are larger than 6 inches. My emperor angel I must say keeps most everyone in line when a chase within the tank with Tangs occurs. Just some food for thought

I have a 365 gallon tank and have a yellow tang, naso tang, clown tang, sailfin tang, hippo tang and vlmingi tang. They were all added at different times with no issues. The only issue is my clown tang can be nasty but he is nasty to all fish so go figure. Achilles tang are up there on agressiveness so I would maybe avoid that fish if possible. All of my Tangs are larger than 6 inches. My emperor angel I must say keeps most everyone in line when a chase within the tank with Tangs occurs. Just some food for thought
Yea. I heard about clowns being nasty. It was on my l my st along with sohail, but I wouldn't be able to keep much else. I didn't realize Achilles were up there too

I love Emperer Angel's btw. If my plans were not to be a reef, it would be on the top of my list. Had one many years ago in a 210

I have a 225 build going on now. This is my tang plan.

Adding smallish convict tang and blonde naso to start. Shortly after add my yellow and hippo that are in my current system (75) and a bit later add the most aggressive powder blue.

Most likely will incorporate an acclimation box.

I’ll let you guys known how it goes.

I have 11 tangs in my 210. 7 yellow, 2 blue hippo, 1 purple, 1 tomini. With a buncha other angels and other fish. All the fish get along fine and were introduced at different times in a sequence that most wouldn’t recommend. I have plenty of hiding spaces for fish to swim through and hide in. I think it’s all about your rock work and how much hiding spaces there are

+The emperor angel is in my reef tank and is a model citizen except when it comes to zoas and a few acans. I have mostly SPS corals and she does not even look at them.

I read that empires were a roll of the dice in a reef. I wouldn't mind it eating zoas and any other softies, as I am sps dominated. Matter of fact, I don't plan on using my current live rock because of random zoas and shrooms

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back