Please Help Id

eliotgorman

BRS Member
Can anyone identify the brownish/orange spots in my sump?

Also the white spots - calcium buildup?

Or anything else that doesn’t belong?

Thank you!

9062C326-90AB-493D-83E0-0417DEE9661F.jpeg
8EE5B9C3-F45E-4F72-A8D8-E3833738BBC5.jpeg

The round, white dots might be spirorbid worms. The thin translucent critters are most likely amphipods or copepods.

Flat worms, use flat worm exit . If you have a wrasse in your dt they will eat them and not bother corals

Thanks for the responses; ordered Flatworm Exit. Have only seen the flatworms in sump so far.

Will research spirorbid worm treatment options.

TY

Try to remove as many as possible before you treat by sucking them out via suction through an airline hose. Yellow coris wrasse is a great, natural predator.

Yes siphoning out as many as I can locate, then plan to treat as soon as treatment arrives.

Will deal with Spirorbid once the flatworms are gone - and watching for a yellow coris wrasse!

Thank you all!

Flatworm Exit seemed to do a nice job - no more visible flatworms. Appreciate all the input and suggestions…

I had similar issue, after a few attempts with flatworm exit I was still having worms appear.
Haven't seen a flat worm in many months now, the change was adding a yellow clown goby who DECIMATED them.

total luck resolution, I was just looking for a yellow goby for a long time and it ended up being the fix for the worms as well. Disclaimer, my tank is 5 gallons so it's not hard for a tiny clown goby to be the apex predator.

it's nice when you can find a fix that isn't adding a chemical..
...and is adding various yellow fish.

I was doubting the tiny goby was the one that smoked the flat worm population till I witnessed him zap one off the glass. his tank mate is a six-line wrasse which may also be contributing to the efforts but not witnessed directly but it is another of the fish that people say are possible to eat flatworms.

Glad your flatworms got eradicated, treating for them with flatworm exit was far too stressful and upsetting seeing how many existed.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back