Plumbing question

rishy21

Non-member
I am attempting the sump plumbing for the first time. I have 1 1/4 inch drain pipes that drain into 1 inch bulk heads.
now I purchased connectors that increase from 1 inch from bulkhead to connect 1 1/4 inch pipes that go to the sump. Will this be an issue in terms of water flow noise (gurgling etc)
Do you guys think I should use 1 inch pipes instead? Hope that makes sense:)
Any help/ experience is appreciated.

Are you going to have a gate valve on the pipe? It's common these days to have at least two pipes going from the overflow to the sump - a main pipe and a secondary pipe. With a gate valve on the main pipe you can adjust it to be a full siphon and the main pipe will be dead silent. Done right, the secondary pipe will only have a small amount of water flowing down which will be fairly quiet as well. In the "beananimal" style, a third pipe is added just for an emergency. Google "beananimal overflow" and you'll get tons of info.

Thank you Joe Rice. Yes I am planning to put gate valve on the main. There is a secondary and an emergency drain too. I just was not sure if It’s necessary to reduce the size from 1 1/4 inch pipe to a 1 inch pipe.

If you are reducing down to 1" at any point in the drain line, there is no reason to go back up to 1 1/4. If you already have the bigger pipe, then I do not see the harm in going back up to use it other than all future changes will be at that bigger more expensive size.

If you are reducing down to 1" at any point in the drain line, there is no reason to go back up to 1 1/4. If you already have the bigger pipe, then I do not see the harm in going back up to use it other than all future changes will be at that bigger more expensive size.
I agree with this. Sounds like you are using the herbie overflow method. Check this out its the best info on it anywhere. https://gmacreef.com/herbie-overflow-reef-tank-plumbing-method-basics/

Thank you so much. That was my doubt. It’s a used tank and there are 1 1/4 inch drain pipes inside the overflow tower already there that go into 1 inch bulkhead. I am limited by the size of the drain at 1 inch. I have not started plumbing so I guess I will take the connectors and pipes back and get 1 inch ones instead.

Last edited:
Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back